Duplicate computers after Win 7 upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded a client workstation without renaming it. Now it shows up in Computers & Backup in duplicate, with distinct operating systems. I'd like to remove the older instance to remove the duplication but that kills the old backups. Can I rename the older instance? I don't want to rename the workstation itself.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 5:42 PM

Answers

• I upgraded a client workstation without renaming it. Now it shows up in Computers & Backup in duplicate, with distinct operating systems. I'd like to remove the older instance to remove the duplication but that kills the old backups. Can I rename the older instance?  I don't want to rename the workstation itself.
    There is no supported way to rename it.  In order to remove the older instance, you have to remove the computer from the backup database.  It might be possible to do it in an unsupported fashion by changing settings in the registry, but I would strongly advise against it unless you really know what you're doing (and are willing to risk perhaps losing your entire backup database or worse).
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 8:29 PM

All replies

• I upgraded a client workstation without renaming it. Now it shows up in Computers & Backup in duplicate, with distinct operating systems. I'd like to remove the older instance to remove the duplication but that kills the old backups. Can I rename the older instance?  I don't want to rename the workstation itself.
    There is no supported way to rename it.  In order to remove the older instance, you have to remove the computer from the backup database.  It might be possible to do it in an unsupported fashion by changing settings in the registry, but I would strongly advise against it unless you really know what you're doing (and are willing to risk perhaps losing your entire backup database or worse).
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 8:29 PM
  • There is no supported way to rename it.  In order to remove the older instance, you have to remove the computer from the backup database.  It might be possible to do it in an unsupported fashion by changing settings in the registry, but I would strongly advise against it unless you really know what you're doing (and are willing to risk perhaps losing your entire backup database or worse).

I have no plans to do that precisely because I want to preserve the old backups. I've done a full backup of the Win7 install after restoring the previous data, but don't want to assume it's all good at this point. The user, my teenage daughter, does not share my concern about confirming that. I don't want to delete the old one only to have her start screaming 1 day later about missing some homework, or her iTunes library not working.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:47 AM