External Backup Drive USB vs eSATA RRS feed

• Question

• Please excuse if this has been asked but I have searched but have been unable to find an answer to this question.

I have an external Fantom 2TB drive I intend to use for my server backups. This drive can connect via USB or eSATA.

When I connect via USB and make it a backup drive in WHS, I get a temporary removal option, which is what I want so I can easily remove the drive and store in a secure location when not in use. It also shows up in Server Storage Location as external (USB).

When I do the same via eSATA inrerface, the temporary removel option is not active and the only choice is to totally remove it as a backup drive. It also shows up as unknown in Server Storage Location even before I have aded the drive as a backup drive.

Is the temporary removal option just not supported with the eSATA interface or am I doing something wrong here? Is there a way I can make it show as external (eSATA)?

eSATA is sooo much faster and I would prefer to use it, if possible.

Thanks for any wisdom you can provide. Posted Image
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 11:19 PM

All replies

• It's going to depend on your server's hardware, but generally eSATA is considered the same as SATA, i.e. not a temporarily removable storage device.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 14, 2009 4:10 AM

• Thank you.  I suspected as much.  Would there be a work around to achieve safe removal of the eSATA external drive that would not disrupt the way WHS handles the bachups?  I am using an Acer H340.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:11 PM
  • You can try just shutting your server down and disconnecting the drive...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 18, 2009 2:57 PM