Home Server Connection software RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot connect to my home server, home built, thru the software anymore. I have reloaded it several times thru the https....55000 link and it loads just fine, it takes my password and configures just fine. BUT when I then click to run the software to connect to the server it gives an error message saying "this computer cannot connect, yada yada yada" I KNOW the password is correct. I DID recently get Verizon FIOS but of course they cannot help me. I need to get to the backups because alot of data that was backed up is now gone from the local pc and should still be on the Server. I tried booting with the restore cd and it wiped the drive clean and I am now WORSE than I was before. I lost about 100 files initially, now I have lost over 350GB of data! I cannot connect to the Server from any of my pc's. I turned the firewall off on the local pc, the server and the router, no luck, so they are all now back on. I have restarted everything several times, I have tried to get to the Server from every pc using the software and cannot connect, same error message. I CAN get to the Server either directly or thru VNC from any pc. But even when I try to do a restore to the drive from the Server itself it says you must do it from a client pc. The backups are STILL happening, so I am hoping it is a small problem, I just don't know what to try next. I have turned off the backups from this problem pc for now though.

Can someone please help me!

Saturday, September 4, 2010 7:16 PM

All replies

• I cannot connect to my home server, home built, thru the software anymore. I have reloaded it several times thru the https....55000 link and it loads just fine, it takes my password and configures just fine. BUT when I then click to run the software to connect to the server it gives an error message saying "this computer cannot connect, yada yada yada" I KNOW the password is correct. I DID recently get Verizon FIOS but of course they cannot help me. I need to get to the backups because alot of data that was backed up is now gone from the local pc and should still be on the Server. I tried booting with the restore cd and it wiped the drive clean and I am now WORSE than I was before. I lost about 100 files initially, now I have lost over 350GB of data! I cannot connect to the Server from any of my pc's. I turned the firewall off on the local pc, the server and the router, no luck, so they are all now back on. I have restarted everything several times, I have tried to get to the Server from every pc using the software and cannot connect, same error message. I CAN get to the Server either directly or thru VNC from any pc. But even when I try to do a restore to the drive from the Server itself it says you must do it from a client pc. The backups are STILL happening, so I am hoping it is a small problem, I just don't know what to try next. I have turned off the backups from this problem pc for now though.

Can someone please help me!

Can you successfully ping your server, both by name and by IP address, from your clients?  If not, can you run ipconfig /all on yours server as well as one of your clients, then post the results here?
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 6:33 PM
  • yes I can ping it, I even tried the WHS connector troubleshoot software and no luck
    Monday, September 6, 2010 9:00 PM
  • When you say "cannot connect" do you mean the Console won't connect? But you can connect via Remote Desktop, logging in as Administrator and using the console password?

Have you tried this:

• Remove the drive from the computer you want to restore and connect it to some other computer that has the connector installed.
    • On that other computer, run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\clientrestorewizard.exe.
    • Try a restore to that drive.

This is the same as running the restore from the CD, just using a full version of Windows as a host instead of the environment on the Restore CD.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 12:49 PM
  • No I mean I cannot connect from ANY pc to the Server via the Home Connector Software. I CAN connect to the Server thru my VNC software or by using its own mouse and keyboard but NONE of my pc's will connect will let me connect thru them.

I am thinking this is firewall/new router related but have no clue what to change or check. The backups work fine but trying to log into the Server with the Home Connector Software gives an error message after I type the password. It seems like it tries but then errors out.

I tried doing a restore from the Server itself, running the Console but it says it MUST be done from a pc. I did NOT try doing it like you said above, will that work directly from the Server?

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 7:28 PM
  • No I mean I cannot connect from ANY pc to the Server via the Home Connector Software. I CAN connect to the Server thru my VNC software or by using its own mouse and keyboard but NONE of my pc's will connect will let me connect thru them.

I am thinking this is firewall/new router related but have no clue what to change or check. The backups work fine but trying to log into the Server with the Home Connector Software gives an error message after I type the password. It seems like it tries but then errors out.

I tried doing a restore from the Server itself, running the Console but it says it MUST be done from a pc. I did NOT try doing it like you said above, will that work directly from the Server?

No, it must be done from a client.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:05 AM
  • So how do I log into the Server from a client when it won't? How can I restore a drive or even folders when I can't log in from a client?
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 3:40 PM
  • So how do I log into the Server from a client when it won't? How can I restore a drive or even folders when I can't log in from a client?
    You need to figure out why it stopped working.  You might try installing the WHS Toolkit (32-bit or 64-bit) and see if it gives any advice.  Make sure to read the install documentation on how to install the toolkit on your server.
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:11 AM
  • If I understand correctly, you can contact your server from any client using VNC (which version?) for desktop access, but are unable to use the Remote Desktop client or the Windows Home Server Console from any client?

Try this: Disconnect your router from your broadband connection, but leave your home network connected to your router. Then restart your router, leaving it disconnected from the Internet. See if you can contact your server.

Also, how is your server connected to your router? How are your clients connected to your router?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 1:43 PM
  • Yes I use version 10.8.2 of VNC and it lets me connect to the Server from any pc but I cannot connect to the server using the connector software from any pc. However the backups are still occurring from every pc, except the one I want to restore and only on that one because I turned them off.

My server is connected thru a hub to a hub then to the Fios modem/router. I have the Actiontec Fios cable modem/router that is connected to an 8 port gbps hub by a wire then to a 24 port 10/100 bps hub by a wire then to the server by a wire, and half a dozen or so other pc's also by wire. I do have 2 pc's connected wirelessly and their backups work just fine but they also cannot connect to the server thru the connector software but work fine thru vnc.

I will try your disconnect the cable in a little bit, the internet is busy at the moment.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:05 PM
  • I installed the ToolKit on my home pc and it doesn't find anything wrong, it finishes all the tests and comes back with

"The Windows Home Server Connector Troubleshooter tests are now complete." and then says any errors will show up below and the rest of the page shows no errors. It just has this on it

" article

ReadMe for this tool

It is installed on the WHS but nothing shows up on the screen. I tried to uninstall it, thru the add-ins page it does show up there, but it does not uninstall.

Okay I ran the Toolkit with the -a from the client and it says:
    "Server port 88 is not opened"
    "test check no TCP 88 connection end"
    "Information for test check no TCP 88 connection: no connection to server port 88"

BUT there is a green check next to this, is this okay?
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:19 PM
  • Did you at any time yourself or by installing software make changes to the IIS configuration on the server? This component is mandatory for connector to work - and port 88 is not one of the known ports in the configuration of WHS.

Also - did you install any 3rd party firewall or security suite on your clients or on the server, which may block the communication? Please check also the event log of the server for any errors and warnings.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:30 PM
  • I am trying to connect from within my home network not from the internet, do I still need IIS?

Also no firewall other than the Windows one and the antivirus is ClamWin, it is free, and has been disabled and there is still no connection, so I re-enabled it. It used to work with everything like it is now, but something changed and I can't figure it out.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Ken Warren said "Try this: Disconnect your router from your broadband connection, but leave your home network connected to your router. Then restart your router, leaving it disconnected from the Internet. See if you can contact your server."

I tried this and it still does not work. Is there any chance a cross over cable would work? I can put the drive in another pc near the WHS if it would.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 4:07 PM
  • Okay I read in another thread about WHS problems ,there seem to be alot of them! that the router name for my network could be important. My network name on the pc's is @home, even the server is @home, but the Verizon router will not take the @ symbol as the first thing. Could this be my problem? I apparently am a real sick puppy right now as I am on iv antibiotics, so I will try this tomorrow in the am. It is now 6pm at night and I have another 45 minute to the Dr to get another iv treatment in 6 hours so am going to take a nap.

The other question I have is about the username and password....I do not have the same one on any of my pc's, is it necessary for them to have the same account on each in order to use the WHS connection software? Remember my backups work find right now, I just can't restore anything.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 10:12 PM