Reinstalling vista home premium with different language RRS feed

• Question

• Dear sir/Madam,

I was in germany on 3 months training when my laptop got stolen and i had to buy new one, Of course he laptop was in  german.I am back in ireland after 3 months of lang training and all.

My question is if i try to install Vista home premium from a " Anytime Upgrade" DVD in english , and use he key printed on my computer. Will this be geniun copy of and will Vista accept my Key and will be activated normally

PS i dont want vista in German.

Thank you
    Swaran Singh
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Jaggi,

Our test didn't go well since we did not have a test Credit Card number to go thru the full upgrade process. So then we tracked down and talked to the Anytime Upgrade Program Manager. He explained that you should be able to upgrade using the Anytime Upgrade DVD, but it will not change the Language, in Vista, to English.

Although you can not use the Anytime Upgrade to get Vista English, I can suggest an alternative. You can buy a Vista Upgrade DVD (not the Anytime Upgrade DVD) and then do a Custom install. 

To do a Custom install of a Vista Upgrade DVD, please follow the steps below:

(Please Note: you will need to back up importent files to a CD, USB Drive or other removable storage solution before doing the Custom install, as everything will be deleted as the Upgrade Vista is installed).

Method 1: Run the Setup program after you start the computer by using the current operating system

1. Start the computer by using the current operating system.
    2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
    3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:
    If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.
    If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.
    b. Click Install now.
    4. When you reach the Which type of installation do you want? screen, click Custom (advanced), and then follow the instructions that are displayed on the screen to install Windows Vista.

The reason this is different then the Anytime Upgrade is that the Anytime Upgrade installs Vista on top of the previous Windows and will keep allot of the previous Window's componets (such as language) but with the regular Upgrade DVD, you can do a Custom install, which only checks to see if the previous Windows qualifies for upgrade, and if yes, it then does a Clean Install (basicly deleting the old Windows and installing Vista from scratch)

I just want to thank you again for your question, my team and I learned allot while tracking down the answer for you.

I hope this helps,

Darin Smith

WGA Program Manager

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:56 PM

All replies

• Windows upgrades can only be performed using the same language as the original Windows installation.  In your case, you'll need to purchase a "Full English" version of Windows Vista and perform a "clean install".

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:48 PM
  • Hi Jaggi,

That is an excellent question. The Anytime upgrade DVD should come with it's own Product Key (using the product key from the sticker on your computer will NOT work). The problem that I see is as Carey mentioned, the English upgrade may not work on a German Vista.

I am having my test team check this out for you. Please stand by and we will have an answer for you as soon as possible.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:01 PM
  • Hi Jaggi,

Our test didn't go well since we did not have a test Credit Card number to go thru the full upgrade process. So then we tracked down and talked to the Anytime Upgrade Program Manager. He explained that you should be able to upgrade using the Anytime Upgrade DVD, but it will not change the Language, in Vista, to English.

Although you can not use the Anytime Upgrade to get Vista English, I can suggest an alternative. You can buy a Vista Upgrade DVD (not the Anytime Upgrade DVD) and then do a Custom install. 

To do a Custom install of a Vista Upgrade DVD, please follow the steps below:

(Please Note: you will need to back up importent files to a CD, USB Drive or other removable storage solution before doing the Custom install, as everything will be deleted as the Upgrade Vista is installed).

Method 1: Run the Setup program after you start the computer by using the current operating system

1. Start the computer by using the current operating system.
    2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
    3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:
    If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.
    If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.
    b. Click Install now.
    4. When you reach the Which type of installation do you want? screen, click Custom (advanced), and then follow the instructions that are displayed on the screen to install Windows Vista.

The reason this is different then the Anytime Upgrade is that the Anytime Upgrade installs Vista on top of the previous Windows and will keep allot of the previous Window's componets (such as language) but with the regular Upgrade DVD, you can do a Custom install, which only checks to see if the previous Windows qualifies for upgrade, and if yes, it then does a Clean Install (basicly deleting the old Windows and installing Vista from scratch)

I just want to thank you again for your question, my team and I learned allot while tracking down the answer for you.

I hope this helps,

Darin Smith

WGA Program Manager

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:56 PM
  • I have a similar problem. I bought my laptop in Czech Republic with Windows Vista Home Premium. Naturally the UI is in czech. I have read your advice and my question is this: will a Vista Home Premium upgrade DVD suffice? or will I actually have to upgrade to the Ultimate edition?

Thanks for helping.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 3:04 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Yes, a Vista Home Premium (or higher) upgrade DVD  will suffice (make sure it is NOT a Anytime Upgrade DVD, but a retail Vista Home Premium upgrade DVD)

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 9:12 PM
  • Darin,

As is my understanding, your post is official position of MS.Many thanks for your advice, because I'm now in face of similar situation: I've moved temporary from Poland, laptop...emm... ok, it wasn't the flying version and HDD didn't survived.

Anyway, I have to buy new one. Of course, many of them are with preinstalled Vista.

On the boxes (both - laptop & WinVista) there's no information that I'll be not able to legally use another language version instead of this what was preinstalled on PC. So, before I have read your message, I was sure, that it will be ok to buy now, and replace with polish version.

But if I have to pay for system (in english) now, and if I'll want to have it in my native language (polish), I'll have to buy it again - sorry, but I'll just buy a Dell with Ubuntu Smile

Many thanks for you as MS, and congratulations - you've lost one of customers from Poland, who had a legal versions since 3.11.

Thanks for your above statement, this can explain clearly that most of the web-forums users aren't wrong: your customer care is ending when somebody paid you. fortunately, the alternative is still growing, and I think I made a good choice to switch, before you, guys, will start to send a bills for security updates.

O, another detail, smallest one: i'm owning a small company in Poland. but, you know: bad habits, etc.. I'm lazy. So, as I'll have one PC with Ubuntu, I'll replace the OS in all 15 same way for uniformity.

I wish you all the best and I think if more of your customers will choose this way, you all will rest at last... in peace Smile

Monday, October 15, 2007 11:51 PM
  •  

Just to make sure cause i don't want to spend 150+ dollars for nothing. I have Windows Vista Home Premium French installed on my laptop. To convert it to English I DON'T have to buy a full version of vista home premium or upgrade it to ultimate just the upgrade version of home premium?
    Friday, November 30, 2007 10:43 PM
  • Dear Darin,

I have just bought a licence of Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) in Italy, preinstalled on an HP laptop. On the box it does not mention that Vista can only be used in Italian.

I do not see why I should buy another licence, and that the licence I have already bought is rendered useless.

Why does Microsoft cause this obviously common issue, or is it HP in an effort to price discriminate between different countries?

Sincerely,

Hamish

Saturday, June 14, 2008 9:55 AM