Folder modification dates changing RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently running WHS PP3 in an environment which includes Win 7, OSX and Linux (dedicated XBMC machines). 
    I have ripped all of my DVD's and HD-DVD's to my WHS and store them in the Videos folder.
    I've noticed, however, that my 'Date Modified' properties of the folders containing the videos change every day or two... this is particularly annoying because I want to order my explorer window (and my XBMC video listing) by date.
    Does WHS change the folder modification time when it rebalances the storage array?  (The files themselves show no changes, only the containing folder)
    Is there any way I can find out which machine/app is changing these dates?

Thanks
    Friday, February 5, 2010 4:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    in my pure Windows environments I cannot see any unexpected changes of file dates/modification dates in shared folders. The same is almost true for folders themself.
    Does this happen only for the Video folder?
    Maybe an application drops an updated file in it, whenever it uses the folder for playback (such as the thumbs.db in the fotos folder). And creating/modifying a file (even a hidden or system file) may count against the modification day of a folder).
    I can also imagine, if WHS needs to use a new disk for certain shared folders, this may also influence the modification date.
    Other than that, in Windows Explorer under View/Choose Details you can also select to show the Date Created column - which should not change with each modified file.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, February 5, 2010 7:18 AM
  • Windows Home Server, by itself, doesn't change the date modified property, so it has to be some machine on your network.

As for finding out which machine, it will probably be one with media management software of some sort (which could include the XBMC devices). You can try turning each of your computers off for a few days to see if you can identify the cause that way.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 5, 2010 12:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    in my pure Windows environments I cannot see any unexpected changes of file dates/modification dates in shared folders. The same is almost true for folders themself.
    Does this happen only for the Video folder?
    Maybe an application drops an updated file in it, whenever it uses the folder for playback (such as the thumbs.db in the fotos folder). And creating/modifying a file (even a hidden or system file) may count against the modification day of a folder).
    I can also imagine, if WHS needs to use a new disk for certain shared folders, this may also influence the modification date.
    Other than that, in Windows Explorer under View/Choose Details you can also select to show the Date Created column - which should not change with each modified file.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, February 5, 2010 7:18 AM
  • Windows Home Server, by itself, doesn't change the date modified property, so it has to be some machine on your network.

As for finding out which machine, it will probably be one with media management software of some sort (which could include the XBMC devices). You can try turning each of your computers off for a few days to see if you can identify the cause that way.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 5, 2010 12:40 PM
  • Thanks guys...

I'll try making the share Read Only to the media center user account... see if that stops the shenanigans.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 9:04 PM
  • I suspect Windows Media Center on one of your clients is the issue.  I see the date change issue a lot when using Synctoy with media files.   Not really a WHS issue.

Saturday, February 6, 2010 12:21 AM