Cannot change Next tune-up date RRS feed

• Question

•  

My main screen shows Last tune-up 1/11/2009 and Next tune-up 1/17/2009.  I want to change the next tune-up to 1/31/2009.  I go to Change settings, Tune-up tab, and no matter what I select under Tune-up schedule, I cannot get the next tune-up to change from 1/17/2009.  Can anyone help me?  Robert

Monday, January 12, 2009 12:46 AM

Answers

• The scheduling for Tune-up can be flakey at best. If you change the frequency of your Tune-up from weekly to monthly, the new "next" date should be respected, but you may not see that in the program interface.
    However, if the new date you wish to change to exceeds 4 weeks since the last one, you won't be able to change it anyway as that would mean that your frequency was already at 4 weeks or monthly.
    Note that you can cancel the Tune-up when it starts up and it will then start the next day and each day thereafter until your complete it. I believe that your status will turn to Yellow/At Risk if you cancel Tune-up for a week beyond the 4 week mark.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:01 PM

All replies

• The scheduling for Tune-up can be flakey at best. If you change the frequency of your Tune-up from weekly to monthly, the new "next" date should be respected, but you may not see that in the program interface.
    However, if the new date you wish to change to exceeds 4 weeks since the last one, you won't be able to change it anyway as that would mean that your frequency was already at 4 weeks or monthly.
    Note that you can cancel the Tune-up when it starts up and it will then start the next day and each day thereafter until your complete it. I believe that your status will turn to Yellow/At Risk if you cancel Tune-up for a week beyond the 4 week mark.
    -steve
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:01 PM
  • Stephen:  Thank you for your reply.  In your reply you state, “If you change the frequency of your Tune-up from weekly to monthly, the new "next" date should be respected, but you may not see that in the program interface.”  How do I know ahead of time that the change is effective?

I can change the day and the time of day in the Tune-up schedule and it will show in the main window.  If I change the number of weeks, it does not show in the main window.  Do you have any explanation for this peculiarity?

Thank you. 

Monday, January 12, 2009 4:35 PM
  • My only explanation is the fact that this part of the program is flaky.
    I just poked at OneCare Tun-up settings here on my PC and it did some strange stuff.
    Last Tune-up was 12/27 and it was set to run every 4 weeks on Saturday 1 AM. Next Tune-up was 1/24. I changed it to Monday's, but left the 4 week cycle and next Tune-up changed to 2/9 - 2 weeks late!
    I changed it to be weekly on Mondays and next Tune-up changed to 1/19. I changed it back to Saturdays every 4 weeks and it now says my next Tune-up woll be 1/17, a full week early - based on the last Tune-up.
    So, basically, my advice is to not worry about the *next* date unless you need to cancel it when it starts. Just make sure that the frequency is set as desired. Once it falls into a routine, it typically respects the settings, though there have been reports of it showing one thing for frequency, time, and next scheduled and the behavior being quite different, which typically means that something is out of whack in the internal database for OneCare's settings.
    -steve
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:43 PM
  • Steve:  Thank you again.  I see no alternative other than to follow your suggestions.  Robert
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:45 PM