locked
Remote Access Connection Disabled RRS feed

  • Question

  • At home, I have three machines all with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
    All of the machines are reporting Connection Disabled in the Remote Access Web Interface.

    My PC was working with RDP fine previously, however I was having some issues with Zune, so I formatted the drive and re-installed Windows and all my apps from scratch. I renamed my machine in the process, so WHS see's my old PC (RGREEN01) and my new PC name (RGREEN02) as two seperate items.

    All of the machines have RDP enabled, and NLA is disabled to allow downlevel versions of Windows to connect. Windows Firewall is enabled and I have set the Remote Desktop rule to allowed for both Private/Home and also Public networks. I can connect to each machine internally from within the home network ok.

    I followed the advise of a post on this forum to run ClientInfo.exe from an evelated command prompt to have it refresh the WHS Remote Access info, and it reports "Windows Vista SKU = 1".


    Richard Green, MCSE Windows Server 2003
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:13 AM

Answers

  • In my environment, I have included a Local Group Policy as part of my installation on Windows 7.
    The LGPO enables RDP and sets the level to Allow Nonsecure Clients (NLA Flag 0).

    It appears that although this works for the purpose of normal RDP, the WHS wasn't able to detect that RDP was enabled.

    By disabling RDP and enabling it again on the client, then running ClientInfo.exe I managed to get it working. I've since changed the GPO I apply to remove the RDP configuration so that I can do this as a manual step after installation.


    Richard Green, MCSE Windows Server 2003
    • Marked as answer by richardjgreen Saturday, June 26, 2010 7:38 AM
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 7:37 AM

All replies

  • I just uninstalled, re-installed the WHS Connector and rebooted one of the clients and it's still reporting Connection Disabled.
    Richard Green, MCSE Windows Server 2003
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:18 AM
  • Does anyone have any suggestions to resolve the problem?

    I just read this topic here:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/addf05bc-5372-4c8b-82bf-91dc1c9f1fba

    The poster stated that connecting to the target client computer from the WHS server RDP enabled the connection, however this didn't work for me.

    Thanks
    Richard


    Richard Green, MCSE Windows Server 2003
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 8:58 PM
  • On 6/16/2010 6:13 AM, richardjgreen wrote:

    At home, I have three machines all with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
    All of the machines are reporting Connection Disabled in the Remote Access Web Interface.

    My PC was working with RDP fine previously, however I was having some issues with Zune, so I formatted the drive and re-installed Windows and all my apps from scratch. I renamed my machine in the process, so WHS see's my old PC (RGREEN01) and my new PC name (RGREEN02) as two seperate items.

    All of the machines have RDP enabled, and NLA is disabled to allow downlevel versions of Windows to connect. Windows Firewall is enabled and I have set the Remote Desktop rule to allowed for both Private/Home and also Public networks. I can connect to each machine internally from within the home network ok.

    I followed the advise of a post on this forum to run ClientInfo.exe from an evelated command prompt to have it refresh the WHS Remote Access info, and it reports "Windows Vista SKU = 1".

    One question that I have for you is on the computer that you are using to remotely connect (outside of your network) is your homeserver.com sub-domain listed in the Trusted Sites security zone?  In order to use Remote Desktop, the domain must be a Trusted Site.

    Have a great day:)
    Patrick.


    Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com


    Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:17 PM
  • In my environment, I have included a Local Group Policy as part of my installation on Windows 7.
    The LGPO enables RDP and sets the level to Allow Nonsecure Clients (NLA Flag 0).

    It appears that although this works for the purpose of normal RDP, the WHS wasn't able to detect that RDP was enabled.

    By disabling RDP and enabling it again on the client, then running ClientInfo.exe I managed to get it working. I've since changed the GPO I apply to remove the RDP configuration so that I can do this as a manual step after installation.


    Richard Green, MCSE Windows Server 2003
    • Marked as answer by richardjgreen Saturday, June 26, 2010 7:38 AM
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 7:37 AM