Question regarding Results Summary for exams RRS feed

• Question

• Hello to all - total n00b so please be gentle!

This may be a dumb question, possibly prompted by my bruised ego, but here goes...

I recently sat the 70-291 exam (Implement, Manage & Maintain a MS W2K3 Network Infrastructure) and, to my annoyance, failed. The fail I can deal with, however when I got my results summary sheet after the exam, I noticed that one section (Routing & Remote Access) had nothing whatsoever in the bar that goes from "Moron" to "Genius" (or whatever the phrasing of it is)

I've asked some of my work chums and nobody seems to have ever come across one of these bars being totally blank before. Added to that I've been working with VPN/IPSec for the past 2 years with no real bother.

So my question is basically "Is this a fault with the test centre's marking, or am I really that dumb??" And if the answer is the former, can I appeal/have the result overturned?

Cheers for any help/constructive abuse!

Scrote
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:10 PM

Answers

• Scrote, sorry fellow.  The way the scoring sheet works is that each section has a relative bar depending on the weighting of the exam questions in one area.  Depending on how that particular objective on the exam is weighted, missing only a couple questions in that area may be enough to cause the bar to be blank!

Appealing your exam may be possible however I have never heard of it being done before because the entire scoring system is automated based on the experience of thousands of exam takers for each exam.  The odds of your answers, which are scored incorrect, being correct while the 5,000 other people who have taken the same exam before you having chosen the "correct" answer to pass the exam as intended are miniscule at best.

Sometimes the question or the answer sets require careful reading and go somewhat against your experience.

As professionals, there is the experienced way to do it and the Microsoft way.  You need to be using the Microsoft way.

If you would like to inquire further about challenging your exam, email MCPHelp@microsoft.com
    - Wayne S. Anderson MCITP, MCSE, MCT http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea
    • Proposed as answer by Wayne S. Anderson Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Scrote Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:37 PM
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:34 PM

All replies

• Scrote, sorry fellow.  The way the scoring sheet works is that each section has a relative bar depending on the weighting of the exam questions in one area.  Depending on how that particular objective on the exam is weighted, missing only a couple questions in that area may be enough to cause the bar to be blank!

Appealing your exam may be possible however I have never heard of it being done before because the entire scoring system is automated based on the experience of thousands of exam takers for each exam.  The odds of your answers, which are scored incorrect, being correct while the 5,000 other people who have taken the same exam before you having chosen the "correct" answer to pass the exam as intended are miniscule at best.

Sometimes the question or the answer sets require careful reading and go somewhat against your experience.

As professionals, there is the experienced way to do it and the Microsoft way.  You need to be using the Microsoft way.

If you would like to inquire further about challenging your exam, email MCPHelp@microsoft.com
    - Wayne S. Anderson MCITP, MCSE, MCT http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea
    • Proposed as answer by Wayne S. Anderson Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Scrote Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:37 PM
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:34 PM
  • Damn. I really am that dumb!

Ah yes - the Microsoft way - it all makes sense now. Damm you Microsoft! *shakes fist*

Ho-hum, not to worry - Prometric just cancelled my resit anyway.

Thanks for the prompt response.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Great response Wayne; and very accurate. According to my friend, Rob Linsky, Microsoft Certifications:

The primary value of the challenge process is that it helps us maintain and improve the quality of the exam and the program.  Please note that we do respond to all challenges and each challenge is concluded with a resolution (not always the one the candidate wants, but a resolution nonetheless).  During the challenge review process, we look for trends associated with an exam or exam item and then use this information to guide our exam refresh process. We typically do not rescore candidates, primarily because we have no way of knowing if the candidate would have answered the question correctly if the problem they identified was corrected (and we cannot assume that they would have).   Additionally, this is why we cannot simply pass people who were unable to complete an exam or answer a particular question because of a technical failure; recall that in cases of technical failure, we do allow the candidate to retake the exam at no cost. Further, because of the way the cut score is established (it is not based on percent correct), it is uncommon that simply removing a question from the scoring process changes the candidate’s passing status. (The latter may be too complicated to explain, but more often than not, removing an item will not change the passing status because we set it based on an ability estimate that is calculated based on the questions included in the exam and is unrelated to the percent of items the candidate answers correctly).   Our approach to accepting and responding to exam challenges and rescoring exams based on those challenges is common in the test/certification industry.

Scrote, I feel for you. The 70-291 is a tough exam and is normally an ending point for those who pursue their MCSE 2003. I have seen people take this test as many as 5 times. You best course of action is to review your score report and concentrate on those areas you perform poorly on. Seems simple enough right? :-)

Good luck!
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+
    www.theitclassroom.com
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Hello Scrote,

We have scores of students coming out of our examination rooms with exactly the same result; zero % score on RRAS for the 70-291.  In my mind it is unlikely that all these students fail to get all of the RRAS question right. While at the same time we have tested them with serious testing software with good results. 
    At first we did attribute this to a simulation question. It seems that when a simulation question is made in some exams you cannot get higher result than you simulation result on that perticular subject.
    Yet it cannot be a simulation question either, because most of the test takers are quite sure they had only one simulation on  records in DNS, nothing in the area of RRAS.
    The only conclusion I can come up with, is that ONE (or a very few) question gets an enourmous weight in the scale so that everyone that misses this particular question receives zero % and as a result will fail. Because with one subject at zero % it is nearly impossible to pass. I find that this goes counter to all fair testing procedures when one (or a very few) question(s) cancel(s) out all the good answers in all the other objectives.

I hope other training centers and test takers can confirm this issue and maybe find a better explanation or can make MS testing change its ways.

Greetz, Gerrit
    MCT, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP
    galtink@newhorizonslearning.nl

Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:05 PM