Cannot config backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having problems configuring the backup I as follows.

- Hard Disk C: ( Windows Vista Home Premium )

- Hard Disk D: ( Backup )

- DVD RW Disk E: ( Backup )

But it will not let me configure drive D or E to save backups to any of them two locations as it says this error.

Cannot change backup configuration

To change your backup configuration, OneCare needs to connect to the Internet. To view your current configuration without making changes, click 'OK'. Otherwise, click 'Cancel', check your network connection, and then try configuring backup again.

I have also noticed if I restart the service using the "cmd.exe" file then goto "Change backup setting > Use an existing device" it says "CD/DVD writer - Not supported".

I also tried configuring it to save to Hard Disk D as a network location but it says this error.

Failed to save the configuration

OneCare could not save the configuration because of unknown problems.

Please try again later.

Any idea whats wrong?

Thanks

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 12:20 PM

Answers

• OneCare doesn't allow backup to internal drive, so you are doing right thing to share the internal drive as a network share and then configuring backup onto that share.

Centralized backup is only supported on external HDD and network share. I you have a single PC, try configuring local backup instead of centralized backup. Choose your PCs tab on configuration window and choose the option below Central backup device.

To save backup configuration internet connection is required.
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:59 AM

All replies

• OneCare doesn't allow backup to internal drive, so you are doing right thing to share the internal drive as a network share and then configuring backup onto that share.

Centralized backup is only supported on external HDD and network share. I you have a single PC, try configuring local backup instead of centralized backup. Choose your PCs tab on configuration window and choose the option below Central backup device.

To save backup configuration internet connection is required.
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:59 AM
  • I have discovered a way to enable an internal hard drive as a OneCare backup device, without requiring registering the PC as a Hub PC.  This worked in Windows Vista Home Premium [YRMV in other OS].

First, I clicked Start / Network / Network and Sharing Center -- then I turned ON File Sharing and Public Folder Sharing, and I turned OFF Password Protected Sharing.  (If you use a password on your Windows logon, then I would suggest leaving this turned ON.)

Second, I clicked Start / Network -- then I clicked on the icon for my pc (KIRK-PC, in my case).

Third, I right-clicked the icon for my second (internal) hard drive (e, in my case), and clicked Map Network Drive, then I left the option set to Z for the new drive letter, and clicked FINISH (if you have Password Protected Sharing turned ON, this is where it would ask you for the password, but since mine was off, it just went on and) -- a new window opened showing (\\KIRK-PC\E) (ZSmile -- and I was ready.

Fourth, I entered Z: for the network location in the OneCare backup settings, and it happily recognized this as a "networked drive".  I then ran backup, and it worked just fine.

You're welcome.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:51 PM
  • Greg: I did all the steps you recommended, it seemed brilliant, except at the end it wouldn't backup because it said the Z: Drive was on my computer (I had mapped it to my F: internal drive.) Any idea what I can do to make the backup happen?

Howard
    Sunday, January 6, 2008 11:46 PM
  • Howard, this trick only works with 2.0 and only when configuring Centralized backup for all PCs in the Circle (even if only your PC is in that Circle.)

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 1:39 AM