Post Restore problems with WHS 2011 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I just restored a backup onto a new drive in my laptop (after the old one died).  Everything now seems to work..... EXCEPT.... I can't get backups of this laptop to work.

When I try setting up a backup, it says "The backup is not successfully set up"  and then says "Cannot complete the task because the computer is either offline or it is not connected to the network".

However, I can see the server with no problems, I can go to it using Remote Desktop, etc.

HELP!!

• Changed type Sean Zhu - Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:03 AM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 11:42 PM

All replies

• I am not sure whether this will work but if it were me, I would uninstall the Connector, re-boot and re-install.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 11:52 PM
  • OK, tried it, and when I put in server/connect (or double-click on Server in Other Devices) I get :

<fieldset>

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

</fieldset>

MG

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 12:33 AM
  • So, I can see my server in Windows Explorer, I can open and read and modify files on it, I can remote desktop to it, but I can't connect to it this way to set up WHS Connector.

MG

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 12:35 AM
  • This is confusing - not sure how a client can cause this? Have you changed anything on the Server? Have you got other clients that still work correctly? Have you re-booted the Server?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 12:57 AM
  • Hmm.  It appears that ALL the clients now have THIS problem (ie the Error 500).  I have rebooted the server now and still get that problem.

Incidentally, all the other clients are backing up ok.

MG

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:07 AM
  • I am not sure what the problem is, nor what to suggest, but it looks like it was not the client restore was not the issue. Have you installed any software on your server recently?

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:21 AM
  • No new software on the server.

MG

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:28 AM
  • I have seen this on WHS v.1 a longer time ago, after a .NET Framework update messed up with the IIS settings, changing some configuration from ASP 2.0 to an older version.

Can you find any related hints in the event logs or in the IIS logs on the server?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:13 AM