Potential Hardware failure, how to identify RRS feed

• Question

• Ever since I made a very large dump of files onto my newly purchased HP Mediasmart ex470 I have been having issues with "There are File Conlicts" it started by telling me that there is an I/O device error then what appreared to be a hex address. This has since gone away, and simply been replaced with "the system cannot find the drive specified"

Seems pretty clearly like an I/O problem, but all 3 of the 1TB drives I added are showing healthy, as well as the 500GB drive that came with the system. I have currently run chkdsk on 2/3 storage drives and am going though with the 3rd now the instructions I found were less clear about how to run checkdisk on the system partition. Neither of the drives checked out badly, though it takes all of my at home time to run, so it is taking a long time.

In the meantime of running the chkdsk, it has now developed a problem with backup service. Backup service fails repeatedly, asking me to submit the problem to Microsoft. I pressed it about a dozen times before I gave up.

Both the connector and remote desktop seem to pull up the system fine.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:51 AM

Answers

• Iwantbatteries said:

Ever since I made a very large dump of files onto my newly purchased HP Mediasmart ex470 I have been having issues with "There are File Conlicts" it started by telling me that there is an I/O device error then what appreared to be a hex address. This has since gone away, and simply been replaced with "the system cannot find the drive specified"

Seems pretty clearly like an I/O problem, but all 3 of the 1TB drives I added are showing healthy, as well as the 500GB drive that came with the system. I have currently run chkdsk on 2/3 storage drives and am going though with the 3rd now the instructions I found were less clear about how to run checkdisk on the system partition.

You run chkdsk /or on the C and D partition the same way you did on the other drives (the C partition will require a reboot to run chkdsk though).

Iwantbatteries said:

Neither of the drives checked out badly, though it takes all of my at home time to run, so it is taking a long time.

In the meantime of running the chkdsk, it has now developed a problem with backup service. Backup service fails repeatedly, asking me to submit the problem to Microsoft. I pressed it about a dozen times before I gave up.

If you are having problems with the hardware (which is what it sounds like), you should contact HP support.  They should be able to help you (or, worst case scenario, replace the box with another one).  Although, depending on how much data your copying at once, you might be bogging the system down.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:43 AM
  • If you review this FAQ, you'll see that your errors indicate a failing/failed drive or mass storage controller. If you installed the failing drive yourself, you should probably RMA it. If it was original to your server, you should get HP to replace it. In either case, I would avail myself of the HP technical support line for some additional help.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:52 AM

All replies

• Iwantbatteries said:

Ever since I made a very large dump of files onto my newly purchased HP Mediasmart ex470 I have been having issues with "There are File Conlicts" it started by telling me that there is an I/O device error then what appreared to be a hex address. This has since gone away, and simply been replaced with "the system cannot find the drive specified"

Seems pretty clearly like an I/O problem, but all 3 of the 1TB drives I added are showing healthy, as well as the 500GB drive that came with the system. I have currently run chkdsk on 2/3 storage drives and am going though with the 3rd now the instructions I found were less clear about how to run checkdisk on the system partition.

You run chkdsk /or on the C and D partition the same way you did on the other drives (the C partition will require a reboot to run chkdsk though).

Iwantbatteries said:

Neither of the drives checked out badly, though it takes all of my at home time to run, so it is taking a long time.

If you are having problems with the hardware (which is what it sounds like), you should contact HP support.  They should be able to help you (or, worst case scenario, replace the box with another one).  Although, depending on how much data your copying at once, you might be bogging the system down.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:43 AM
  • If you review this FAQ, you'll see that your errors indicate a failing/failed drive or mass storage controller. If you installed the failing drive yourself, you should probably RMA it. If it was original to your server, you should get HP to replace it. In either case, I would avail myself of the HP technical support line for some additional help.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:52 AM