none
Help: Windows Desktop Search: Multiple Databases is it possible RRS feed

• Question

• My computer has over 1,000,000 files. Hence when fully indexed searching takes a long time. I would like to split the index database into two. One containing the types of file's I use most and the other the remainder. If I could run two or more instances of Windows Desktop Search with different options set in each (thus creating two smaller databases to be searched) that would be ideal. i.e I could search the first instance quickly then if I did not find what I was looking for I could then spend more time searching the second. Is this possible or is there some other way to do it. It would have to be fairly simple to set up because I don't have a lot of expertise.

Thanks

• Moved by Ken Warren Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:44 AM off topic for Windows Home Server forums (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:23 AM

All replies

• Thanks for visiting the forums and I'm sorry that your question was moved to the Off-topic forum without any explanation.

Please ask a question on the following forum http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:36 AM
  • Many thanks for that Jeff. I am brand new to this forum and finding it particularly difficult to navigate. Maybe its because I am not a professional but then its the non professionals who need most answers?

For instance:

1. I would click on your reply as "Vote As Helpful" but I cannot find that link anywhere in this thread. (Edit) Ah I just saw it, its not with the other links but the green arrow up on the left - I will click it

2. Before I posted this I searched the thread "where is the forum for..." and the only reference to desktop search was in the place I posted - but that was wrong?

3. I don't know what authority Ken Warren has to be able to move my post without a single comment so I thank you for saying sorry on his behalf.

4. The forum you advise is not even on this "social.microsoft.com/Forums web site so without you I would not have found it in a million years.

Anyway many thanks again. I will do as you advise.

David Murphy

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:47 AM
  • The Microsoft Answers forum was created to assist non-IT Professionals with questions relating to various consumer products (Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer etc). It is still a relatively new support forum (compared to MSDN and TechNet forums) so many people still aren't aware of it.

I will look into your feedback in relation to not finding information on the Answers forum on the social.microsoft.com/Forums link and will forward your concerns onto Microsoft if required.

With regards to your question on the "Vote as Helpful" feature, it is the green arrow located to the left of a person’s reply.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:04 AM