Outlook Client - Error saving e-mails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am experiencing this odd behaviour with the Outlook Client.  Currently in CRM we have emails attaching to cases via the regarding field, and this is done through the Outlook client.

When an email is tracked in CRM and then set regarding to the Case, Outlook will display a prompt for the user to choose whether they would like to save the email in Outlook or not, because of the change in the regarding field.  When we click on No, the email is not saved and the regarding field does not get updated.  But when we click on Yes, an error would pop up telling us that the record is opened at another location and cannot be saved.  If we choose Yes a few more times it will eventually save and the regarding field is set.

Has any encountered this behaviour with the Outlook Client?  Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks,

Steve

Monday, March 29, 2010 4:39 PM

All replies

• Is this happening on one workstation, several, or all?

I don't understand the following as I have never seen this prompt:

"When an email is tracked in CRM and then set regarding to the Case, Outlook will display a prompt for the user to choose whether they would like to save the email in Outlook or not, because of the change in the regarding field

If I create a new e-mail and select Set Regarding from the top Ribbon on the E-mail message, then complete the e-mail and select the Send button, I don't receive any prompts.

Maybe you could provide the exact steps the user is taking to produce the result you are seeing.  Please provide full details on the steps.

You can also try applying the latest Rollup 9 to see if it corrects the issue.

Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    Monday, March 29, 2010 5:25 PM
  • Hi Donna,

Thanks for your reply.

Basically this is the scenario. 

1. Open e-mail in Outlook in a new window
    2. Click on Track in CRM
    3. Click on Set Regarding, and point the email to a Case already created in CRM
    4. Close the e-mail window that I've opened in step 1
    5. At the time I close the window, a prompt pops up and asks if I want to save the email
    6. Click no, changes were reverted (regarding not set)
    7. Click yes, error comes up to say that the record is opened in another location and cannot be saved
    8. Eventually after clicking on yes a few times, the changes will go through and the e-mail saved

The individuals who are experiencing this problem are on Roll up 7, while others in the organization with an earlier roll up is not seeing this at all it seems.

Perhaps Roll up 9 is a possible solution, but it would help if we can confirm that the roll up is causing this behaviour and that the new rollup should be in place.

Thanks,

Steve

Monday, March 29, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Run manually synchronization (in Outlook CRM Menu -> Synchronize to CRM) and see if this is helping.

It may happened that during the editing synchronization is running or try to synchronize manually during the email is open.

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:36 AM
  • Try this

1. Do not open E-mail but rather select it (highlight the e-mail from the list view in the user's inbox)

2. Select Set Regarding from the CRM toolbar in Outlook

3. Select the CRM Regarding record to use for the Set Regarding action

Does this work as expected?

You can also run the CRM Outlook Diagnostic on the machines that are experiencing the error to ensure everything is working as expected and check the user's Event Viewer to see if and error is logged that might provide additional information.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:10 PM
  • Try this

1. Do not open E-mail but rather select it (highlight the e-mail from the list view in the user's inbox)

2. Select Set Regarding from the CRM toolbar in Outlook

3. Select the CRM Regarding record to use for the Set Regarding action

Does this work as expected?

You can also run the CRM Outlook Diagnostic on the machines that are experiencing the error to ensure everything is working as expected and check the user's Event Viewer to see if and error is logged that might provide additional information.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:10 PM