WHS 2011 Backup Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Ever since I upgraded to WHS 2011, I've had nothing but issues with the client and server backups.  It appears that WHS 2011 backups are far less reliable than WHS v1 and the consequences of even a single error are catastrophic.  I never had anywhere near the amount of grief with client backups with WHS v1.  What gives?

Some background: 

I used an Acer EasyStore WHS v1 server for well over a year and used it to backup all of the computers and notebooks in my household.  The only issues I encountered were that it wouldn't back up a notebook if it was running on battery power and you couldn't schedule automatic backups of the home server.  If any issues were encountered in the backup of a given client, only that client's backups would be affected.  All of the other client backups would still be usable.

Fast forward to 2011 and I decided to upgrade to WHS 2011 to take advantage of the newer operating system and better hardware.  Since then, I have not been able to back up the same systems reliably for more than a few days but an error is encountered in one of the client backups (note that it is never the same client!) which in turn leads to errors with all of the other client backups and then to uncorrectable errors in the backup database itself.  The only way that I can get the client backups to run again is to delete the entire backup database.  So, an issue with one client leads to backup failures with all of the others and then to the catastropic loss of all backups.  It's enough to make me regret having invested in WHS 2011.

Is there any way alter the behavior of the backup service so that the backups of each of the clients is completely independent of all others?  I completely understand that this would likely increase the amount of disk space required to store the backups of all the systems but I'd rather deal with less free disk space on the server if it meant that I could rely on the backups.

As best as I can determine, there are no issues on any of the clients or on the server.  All clients are up-to-date and repeated runs of CHKDSK have not identified any issues.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:39 AM

All replies

• No, you can't do what you suggest. Do you have any add-ins installed on the Server and/or have you made any configuration changes outside the Dashboard?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:17 AM
  • You can do what you want by "upgrading" WHS 2011 to WHS v1.  Actually, you can't separate the backups, but at least you will have reliable backups and FAST restores.  Put WHS v1 back on and forget it; except to run the server backup every week or so.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Ever since I upgraded to WHS 2011, I've had nothing but issues with the client and server backups. It appears that WHS 2011 backups are far less reliable than WHS v1 and the consequences of even a single error are catastrophic. I never had anywhere near the amount of grief with client backups with WHS v1. What gives?

Some background:

I used an Acer EasyStore WHS v1 server for well over a year and used it to backup all of the computers and notebooks in my household. The only issues I encountered were that it wouldn't back up a notebook if it was running on battery power and you couldn't schedule automatic backups of the home server. If any issues were encountered in the backup of a given client, only that client's backups would be affected. All of the other client backups would still be usable.

Fast forward to 2011 and I decided to upgrade to WHS 2011 to take advantage of the newer operating system and better hardware. Since then, I have not been able to back up the same systems reliably for more than a few days but an error is encountered in one of the client backups (note that it is never the same client!) which in turn leads to errors with all of the other client backups and then to uncorrectable errors in the backup database itself. The only way that I can get the client backups to run again is to delete the entire backup database. So, an issue with one client leads to backup failures with all of the others and then to the catastropic loss of all backups. It's enough to make me regret having invested in WHS 2011.

Is there any way alter the behavior of the backup service so that the backups of each of the clients is completely independent of all others? I completely understand that this would likely increase the amount of disk space required to store the backups of all the systems but I'd rather deal with less free disk space on the server if it meant that I could rely on the backups.

As best as I can determine, there are no issues on any of the clients or on the server. All clients are up-to-date and repeated runs of CHKDSK have not identified any issues.

BullDawg
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:09 AM
  • There are no add-ins installed on the server.  It's as plain vanilla an installation as you can get.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:50 PM
  • I've given serious consideration to your suggestion and may wind up having to do just that.  The automated client computer backup capability is one of the primary reasons people invest in a Windows Home Server.  I find it hard to believe that Microsoft hasn't addressed this issue by now especially given the number of people reporting similar problems.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:53 PM