Domain change left CRM a mess. How do I proceed? RRS feed

• Question

• We're running CRM 3.0 on a Windows 2003 box. That same box also runs SQL 2005 for CRM's databases. Additionally, AD runs on another 2003 box. All servers in the company were running under one domain (we'll call it Domain1).

I've been (un)fortunate enough to have just inherited CRM from an ex-employee, and I still know very little...so please bear with me.

Over the holidays, our Network Admin converted all users and most servers in our company to a new Domain (we'll call it Domain2). I show up to work on Monday with nothing working.

Here's a domain recap:

1. Users' Computers are on Domain2

2. CRM Server is on Domain2

3. Old AD Server is on Domain1

4. New AD Server is on Domain2

Here is what I'm experiencing:

1. The redirect (typing http://crm instead of the full servername) no longer works..."page cannot be displayed"

2. Typing in the full servername to get to CRM just yields this error box:

Authentication Error

Microsoft CRM could not log you on to the system. Make sure your user record is enabled and that you have been assigned at least one security role. For more information, contact your system administrator.

This error box is what I get, regardless of any computer or account that I log in under...even if I'm logged into the CRM box itself, with the administrator-level account!

3. Logging into the CRM box with the administrator-level account under Domain1 won't let me do anything in CRM's Deployment Manager. When I launch it, I get an error saying something like: "Local Administrator priviledges are required to access the Deployment Manager." I then get into Deployment Manager, but it's empty...no License Manager, no User Manager, no nothing.

4. Logging into the CRM box with the administrator-level account under Domain2 lets me get into CRM's Deployment Manager, but the User Manager is not there at all, as it used to be (all I see is the License Manager).

5. Looking at the CRM SystemUserBase table, all of the users are showing up as "Domain1\xxxx"

I understand there is a Redeployment Tool. Keep in mind, I just need CRM to work on its existing server. I do not need to physically move it to another box. I just need it to work with Domain2. Is the Redeployment Tool something I need? Is there anything special I need to watch out for, considering I need to keep CRM on the same box?

What all do I need to do? Where do I start?

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 3:49 PM

Answers

• Let me make sure I am reading this correctly.  You moved all the users from domain1 to domain2.  If so, then CRM will not be able to find those users so I'd suggest reading up redeployment.  This is a fairly common scenario, so I would suggest searching around.  For example, here is one I found doing a search on "CRM redeployment to new domain" here
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:23 PM
  • Uninstall CRM 3.0, run the redeployment wizard to redeploy the database to the new domain, mapping the users in the database to their domain logins, then reinstall, pointing to your database.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 6:24 AM
  • All of your customizations are stored in the DB, so when you redeploy they will all be there.

For the CRM 4 upgrade, you'll need to redeploy to CRM 3 first and then upgrade that instance to CRM 4.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 1:04 PM

All replies

• Let me make sure I am reading this correctly.  You moved all the users from domain1 to domain2.  If so, then CRM will not be able to find those users so I'd suggest reading up redeployment.  This is a fairly common scenario, so I would suggest searching around.  For example, here is one I found doing a search on "CRM redeployment to new domain" here
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:23 PM
  • Sorry, I missed clarifying that point.

One copy of the AD users/groups/etc. exists on Domain1 and Domain2. In other words...on our old AD server, all our users exist (as they always had) as Domain1\xxxx. Now, on our new AD server those same users exist as Domain2\xxxx. However, all users are currently logging in under Domain2. Domain1 will ultimately be taken down, once we get everything up and running fine on Domain2.

Thanks for that link. I may find some useful tidbits there. I had looked through the Redeployment Tool documentation, but I couldn't find my exact scenario. The documentation called for all scenarios to be physically moving CRM from one server to another...across domains. My scenario does have 2 domains, but it just has the one box for CRM...which has already been converted from Domain1 to Domain2.

So, if there's no other "trick" for my specific scenario, I fear that the current box would have to be reverted back to Domain1, and then I'd have to add a 2nd box (on Domain2) on which to re-deploy CRM.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:57 PM
  • Uninstall CRM 3.0, run the redeployment wizard to redeploy the database to the new domain, mapping the users in the database to their domain logins, then reinstall, pointing to your database.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 6:24 AM
  • Sounds like a straightforward solution. Although, is there no real way for me to get back into CRM one last time, to back-up my code customizations, and such?

Additionally, the company has a copy of CRM 4.0 which we've not had time to install yet. Would it be better to simply move to that now? Essentially following following your process, but installing CRM 4 (instead of 3) and then pointing to the existing database...or is it wiser to redeploy on 3.0 again, and then upgrade to 4.0 once everything is fully up and running again?

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 12:54 PM
  • All of your customizations are stored in the DB, so when you redeploy they will all be there.

For the CRM 4 upgrade, you'll need to redeploy to CRM 3 first and then upgrade that instance to CRM 4.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 1:04 PM
  • Ah, great! I assumed that there was code I needed to back-up as well. I'll re-read the Deployment docs and get to work.

Thanks for your help, guys! I'll likely continue to use this thread to post my progress...for future reference.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 3:27 PM
  • FYI - Re-deployment and reinstallation worked A-OK on the first try. I was just concerned that the Domain changeover (at least the way my Net Admin did it) would have fouled something up beyond repair.

Now...time to upgrade to 4.0. Thanks for your help, guys!

Monday, January 12, 2009 7:59 PM