Shares backup option RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed the PP1 and I've seen the backup option for the servers shared folders.
    The only thing I'd like to know is how can I scedule these backups to happen every day.
    I can only find the option to manual start the backup for the shares, but I'd like to have this automated (just like with the pc backups).
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:39 PM

Answers

• This option is currently not available.  There have already been a few suggestions submitted via Connect to add this functionality in the future - please find the existing suggestions and go vote on them.

The primary goal of the Server Data Backup feature of the shared folders was to allow people to make a backup copy of the shared folders to an external hard drive that they could then take offsite (out of the house) to help protect themselves from fire, theft, flood scenarios.    I have 2 external hard drives that I rotate on a regular basis, one is in my office, and the other is in my house where I am currently writing to it - once the backup of the shared folders completes, I will take this one to the office and bring the other one back home.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:50 PM
  • Please delete all copies of WHSEXTCopy.exe - it was a previous alpha  version / unsupported add-in that has known issues and will cause problems.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:34 PM

All replies

• This option is currently not available.  There have already been a few suggestions submitted via Connect to add this functionality in the future - please find the existing suggestions and go vote on them.

The primary goal of the Server Data Backup feature of the shared folders was to allow people to make a backup copy of the shared folders to an external hard drive that they could then take offsite (out of the house) to help protect themselves from fire, theft, flood scenarios.    I have 2 external hard drives that I rotate on a regular basis, one is in my office, and the other is in my house where I am currently writing to it - once the backup of the shared folders completes, I will take this one to the office and bring the other one back home.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:50 PM
  • There is a way to schedule this manually, or there was in earlier versions of PP1 (I can't check the current version right now). You will need to fully configure your server backup and save the settings for future use. Then:
    • Create a scheduled task that runs this command:
      C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\WHSExtCopy.exe
    • Make sure the scheduled task runs with sufficient priviledges. I created an account (outside of the WHS console) that I use for all such tasks, then added it to the Administrators group.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Please delete all copies of WHSEXTCopy.exe - it was a previous alpha  version / unsupported add-in that has known issues and will cause problems.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:34 PM
  • Is there any other way to kick off the backups through a sceduled task?
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:06 PM
  • no - please see my initial response that is marked 'answered'

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:10 PM
  • Rather than add a new thread I thought I would post my question here seeing as it relates to the Shares Backup Option.

I attempted to add an external USB drive to the server to be used to backup the WHS Server shares.  However, every time I tried to add it I got an error message on the wizard saying that the disk had no partition on it and I need to add a partition and reboot. 

I partitioned the drive several times with one primary partition and formatted each time to no avail.  I was about to give up when I thought I would try removing the assigned Drive Letter from in Disk Manager so that the drive had no letter assigned. Once I had done this and ran the wizard again it worked.

Is this the correct behaviour? If so it might be worth while changing the message in the wizard to mention that the external drive should not have any drive letters assigned as well.

Cheers.

Andy

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:42 AM
  •  G Jurriens wrote:
    I've installed the PP1 and I've seen the backup option for the servers shared folders.
    The only thing I'd like to know is how can I scedule these backups to happen every day.
    I can only find the option to manual start the backup for the shares, but I'd like to have this automated (just like with the pc backups).

When you say "I've seen the backup option", exactly what do you mean?

I have added an external USB drive and configured it for use as a backup drive. But that's it. I cannot see where to perform a backup, there doesn't appear to be any new tabs or settings in the WHS Console. Am I missing something obvious?

I did a PP1 upgrade, not a clean install, for what its worth.

Regards

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 10:55 AM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

This option is currently not available.  There have already been a few suggestions submitted via Connect to add this functionality in the future - please find the existing suggestions and go vote on them.

What do you mean "this option is currently not available"?

The Public Beta Release Documentation specifically states to test the "Home Server Data Backup (new feature)" on page 7.

Unless you are refering to the schedule ability only. 

To date I haven't seen any reference to how a backup is actually initiated or performed. Any suggestions?

Regards

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 10:59 AM
  •  

The backup option is on the Normal Backup Tab. The Home Server appears as one of the computers available to backup. Just right click and do a backup and it will prompt you which folders you want to back up.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:34 AM
  •  lobb3r wrote:

The backup option is on the Normal Backup Tab. The Home Server appears as one of the computers available to backup. Just right click and do a backup and it will prompt you which folders you want to back up.

I feel so stupid that I missed that. :-(

Thanks very much.

Regards

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:41 AM