Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Deskop client toolbar does not load in Outlook 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• We are having an issues where multiple users have CRM 4.0 desktop client installed and after some time when they launch Outlook 2007 the CRM toolbar does not load.

They can still access the CRM mailbox and see the content for activities, Companies, etc with no problem.

But the Toolbar is MIA.

The registry shows the intranet server address and other CRM items under HKEY CURRENT USER MSCRMClient key.

All client are running the desktop edition of CRM 4.0 and Rollup 2.

What gives?

If I run the Configuration Wizard again it loads after that. But I have to do this over and over for the same client days later.

Does Rollup 3 resolve this issue?

Office 2007 SP1 is installed on all clients.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:55 PM

Answers

• In addition to Jules suggestion, if your users lose connection to the network and either open Outlook or have Outlook open with the CRM for Outlook client loaded, then the CRM for Outlook Client will disable itself and the user will either need to open and close Outloook or use the Configuration Wizard to correct the issue.

This may not be an Update issue but rather a network connectivity issue.  If you think that it is not network connectivity, you can run the CRM for Outlook diagnostics and see what you find.  You can also look in the user event viewer to see if any issues are logged. 

Additionally, it won't hurt to install UR 3 but I don't know that it will fix the issue. 
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:38 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:29 PM

All replies

• do you have all your basic windows security patches updated too? 
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 6:01 PM
  • In addition to Jules suggestion, if your users lose connection to the network and either open Outlook or have Outlook open with the CRM for Outlook client loaded, then the CRM for Outlook Client will disable itself and the user will either need to open and close Outloook or use the Configuration Wizard to correct the issue.

This may not be an Update issue but rather a network connectivity issue.  If you think that it is not network connectivity, you can run the CRM for Outlook diagnostics and see what you find.  You can also look in the user event viewer to see if any issues are logged. 

Additionally, it won't hurt to install UR 3 but I don't know that it will fix the issue. 
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:38 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Yes. All clients are at the current XP SP 3 and security patch level using WSUS approved updates weekly.

This is not a matter of lost network connection when this occurs.

If they reboot or re-open Outlook the CRM toolbar is completly gone.

The network connect never drops in these cases and they can continue to get email and access the shared drives.

Only the CRM tool bar is missing. The CRM mailbox is still accessable when this occurs whihc leads me to believe it is a bug with the toolbar.

They can also access the CRM server from Internet Explorer when this occurs. http://crm.site.com

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Generally speaking, the toolbar becomes unavailable when the CRM Outlook Client can not communicate with the server.  However, there could be other issues in the users environment that are causing conflicts like other Outlook Add-ins, the size of the Outlook folder, etc.

Run the Diagnostic Wizard and see what you find.  You can also check the event viewer.  Also check the outlook folder size and if it is large, work on getting it reduced.  Also check the Sync Issues folder and see if there are any issues with syncing to Exchange or other sync issues.  A combination of some of these potential solutions might move you toward resolution.  I had one user who have a very large Outlook file and I was able to resolve his issues by reducing the folder size and resolving some sync issues he was experiencing with Exchange.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Donna

I'm having the same issue here.  My tool bar does not disappear but rather I go in and disable it.  After I disable the COM-ADDIN, I can still see the CRM folders and freely go where i need to be.  Actually, i've been getting request from users that they said having the CRM loaded in Outlook, slows down Outlook totally.  So I go in, disable the COM-ADDIN and the toolbar disappears, after a few days, the user says it's working GREAT and she is still using CRM in Outlook!!!!!!  So bottem line is.  if i disable the COM-ADDIN, the Outlook client is speedy and CRM works too!  Do i need that toolbar accross the top?  very strange!
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 4:21 PM
  • If things are working for you without the toolbar and your users can access everything they need, then I don't see any downside.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:24 PM