none
VSTS Release tasks "Run Test" deprecated - replacement? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm using VSTS and I am currently running coded UI Tests during my release. But the used release tasks "Deploy Testagent" and "Run Tests" are marked as "DEPRECATED". As a replacement, the task "VsTest" is suggested.

But if I didn't miss something, this is no real replacement, because it cannot do the same thing.

Currently, I'm doing the following in my release definition:

• Restoring a VM
    • Copy artefacts to this VM
    • Deploy TestAgent
    • Run Tests

So, this means the actual test is running on a VM, not the build agent. So, there's no VS installed on that VM, it is not even in the domain. And it gets restored to a snapshot every time, so we can be sure the test always finds the same defind environment.

But if I understand the new "VsTest" task correctly, it cannot handle runnning on a dedicated testing VM. Instead, it expects to run on the build agent, with the full set of VS installed. 

Or, I would have to install the agent on my testing VM's. But then I would have to find a new way of restoring the snapsot, as the agent cannot restore itself. And I would have ot install (and maintain) VS or try the "VsTest Platform installer" task preview. 

I gave this last idea a quick spin, but "VsTest" always has an invalid search folder (looks like a path from the build agent), hence it cannot find the test assemblies. So, it does not work...

• Has anyone more detaild information on how this "VsTest" task can be used in similar way then the deprecated "Run tests" task?
    • Did anyone manage to get the "VsTest" task working on a dedicated "build" agent, nit used for builds but just for tests?

Any help appreciated,

Sebastian

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 6:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Sebastian,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, your issue is about the TFS. As far as I know, it is better to use your previous way and you can also redirect to this appropriate forum: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/tfs to start a new thread with ‘tfs’ tag for a more professional support, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 8, 2018 6:23 AM