Cannot instal installer 3.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Summary:

My computer was working fine, with a fully updated Windows XP, SP2.  Then, in a blink of an eye....

1. My AMD dual core motherboard failed.

2. I replaced with new Intel dual core motherboard.

3. I could not get windows to start.  Then I found I could not access disk drive, so I fixed the boot record (which had old GoBack remnants on it) and did an installation of XP from the original XP CD.  I wanted to keep all my old programs intact, so I chose the "R" option during the Windows installation.  The installation proceeded normally.

4. I successfully activated Windows by phone.

The following are symptoms of some kind of installation problem:

5. An small window headed with "Windows Installer" and saying "Preparing to Install" appears frequently, even when trying to open a folder, and sometimes opening a folder like "My Computer" or "Network Places" can take many minutes, with the "Preparing to Install" appearing from time to time..  It appears also whenever I try to start IE, and it talkes forever to start IE.   Pressing "Cancel" sometimes allows stuff to happen.

6. I have Live OneCare, and it tells me that I need to get updates from MS.  The first update that it wants to do is Installer 3.1.  Whenever I try to run it, it runs for about 30 seconds, then presents a window entitiled "Automatic Updates" with the message "Some updates could not be installed" and identifies the problem installation as: "Microsoft Installer 3.1"

Here is the information from MGADiag:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-H9FF7-MKXVG-J8JR4
    Windows Product Key Hash: FzcenbICcdUMQ0SAD8OILldQjmg=
    Windows Product ID: 76488-014-5841415-22370
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {82099905-5592-484F-AD04-8A433EAD696C}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.7
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{82099905-5592-484F-AD04-8A433EAD696C}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-J8JR4</PKey><PID>76488-014-5841415-22370</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1708537768-1637723038-1801674531</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.</Manufacturer><Model>EP35C-DS3R</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>F2</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080104000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>4916387F0184DA7B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>B4FF0092A89A076</Val><Hash>cbnaSLhsK5yIUcfFf3TcZ+br1D4=</Hash><Pid>70141-059-4754654-56420</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Please Help!

Thanks,

Ed Roberts

ejroberts@gmail.com

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 2:01 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

Ed Roberts,

Both your Windows XP Professional and Office Standard Edition 2003 are coming up as genuine but that the office is requiring a product key for full validation. 

Restart your computer and try validating Office again at http://www.microsoft.com/genuine and clicking the “Validate Office” button. .  If validation is still failing please follow the steps below:

1) Logon to the PC that is experiencing the notifications as a user with “ADMINISTRATOR” privileges.
    2) Download the tool:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012  click RUN.
    3) When the tool loads, click “CONTINUE”.
    4) Is the “RESOLVE” button available? If so, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool repair the issue.

Let me know if this has helped!

Lori MS

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:05 PM
  • Thanks for help, but I'm afraid that it did not work.  I had already run the MGADiag program to get the list in my first post, and neither the first time nor this second try presented me with a 'resolve" button.

This may have nothing to do with validatoin. If there is a better forum to contact, please let me know.

The problem seems to be strictly with whatever version of Windows Installer is on the system. I tried reloading Windows (again, using "R" so that I don't lose all my programs) and the problem is still there. 

whenever I open a folder or a Windows program, I get a window saying that Windows Installer is installing something (whatever ... it doesn't say).  There is only a cancel button.  What I found out is that if reopen the folder or restart the program immediately, it opens.  But the first "installatoin-plagued" opening is still going on, and after a long period of time (around 3-5 minutes) it will also open and I'll have two of whatever I wanted to do.  By the way, if I hit "Cancel", it takes forever for it to cancel, and sometimes it just keeps coming back.

Other problems: I cannot install Live OneCare virus protection.  I cannot do any Microsoft updates of any kind.

Cheers!

Ed

P.S. I don't understand the comment about Office 2003.  When I first started it after the motherboard change, I successfully validated Office 2003, and it works fine (other than the nasty Instaler problem).
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 2:29 AM
  • Ed6514,

Should the problem which you are experiencing reside with Windows Updates it would fall outside the scope of the Genuine Advantage forum. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. Should you experience problems while updating Windows please follow the Help and Support links on the Windows Updates page. Here you will find assistance in solving the Windows Updates difficulties.  Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are located here http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/updates/faq.mspx which may address questions you have.  Also you may visit the Windows Update Solution Center located here:  http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527   

These forums are for the support of Windows Genuine Advantage Validation issues.  Your post does not appear to be a Windows XP Activation or Validation related and is off-topic (as well as outside of my area of knowledge)

You can also try reposting your question to one of the Windows XP Newsgroups at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US or go to http://support.microsoft.com for additional support options.

Thank you,

Lori MS

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:16 PM
  • Thank you.  I will try the newsgroups as you suggest.

Ed Roberts
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:37 PM