How do I Remote Desktop to my server? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question that is probably starting another thread but you mentioned "RD to your WHS". How is that accomplished or am I missing something completely ? The console simply shows you status of drives, web, shared folders etc.. Is there another tool that allows you to accomplish software installation without adding a monitor/KB/MS ?

Bryan
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 1:44 PM

Answers

• (I've split this to a new question and put it in a more appropriate location.)

Here's the easy way (This is stated for XP, I don't have a Vista PC, but I think it'll work the same way):
    • On an XP (any version) PC on your home network, start the Remote Desktop client software by e.g.:
      • Start menu, Run.
      • Type MSTSC.exe and press Enter.
    • Enter the name of your server and click Connect.
    • Enter the user name Administrator, and the WHS administrator password, and click OK.
    • Wait for the Administrator's desktop to load, then close the warning that appears in Internet Explorer after reading it. (Yes, it's serious about being able to hose up your WHS.)
    There are some things that I wouldn't try to do using RD, though. Anything to do with installing drivers is best done sitting at the physical console. Any changes to the WHS network configuration likewise. And don't manipulate users, shares, storage, etc. through anything except the WHS Console, which has a shortcut on the Administrator's desktop.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 5:37 PM
  • Here is a link http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx for remote desktop from XP.

In the picture above is an eg: you would type "Server" .

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 5:43 PM
  • Hi,

I need to add small info, as Ken and RIchard already give the complete issue, you can as well type the LAN IP for you server to connect.

My best.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 4:34 AM
  • And you can find the Remote Desktop icon from Start > Programs > Accessories > Communications where, if you right-click it, you can Pin to Start Menu, which puts it in the top left of the Start menu.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 12:34 PM

All replies

• (I've split this to a new question and put it in a more appropriate location.)

Here's the easy way (This is stated for XP, I don't have a Vista PC, but I think it'll work the same way):
    • On an XP (any version) PC on your home network, start the Remote Desktop client software by e.g.:
      • Start menu, Run.
      • Type MSTSC.exe and press Enter.
    • Enter the name of your server and click Connect.
    • Enter the user name Administrator, and the WHS administrator password, and click OK.
    • Wait for the Administrator's desktop to load, then close the warning that appears in Internet Explorer after reading it. (Yes, it's serious about being able to hose up your WHS.)
    There are some things that I wouldn't try to do using RD, though. Anything to do with installing drivers is best done sitting at the physical console. Any changes to the WHS network configuration likewise. And don't manipulate users, shares, storage, etc. through anything except the WHS Console, which has a shortcut on the Administrator's desktop.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 5:37 PM
  • Here is a link http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx for remote desktop from XP.

In the picture above is an eg: you would type "Server" .

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 5:43 PM
  • Hi,

I need to add small info, as Ken and RIchard already give the complete issue, you can as well type the LAN IP for you server to connect.

My best.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 4:34 AM
  • And you can find the Remote Desktop icon from Start > Programs > Accessories > Communications where, if you right-click it, you can Pin to Start Menu, which puts it in the top left of the Start menu.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 12:34 PM