Can Not Open Money 2005 file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am in Canada.  I have been using Money 2005 (Canadian) under Win XP for a long time. I recently bought a new system with Windows 7 Pro.

I installed Money 2005 on the new system.  I also moved my old money files from the back up of the old system to the new system.

Now, as I start Money, I try to open my old file, it prompts me for a password, which I enter then it comes back with

" About upgrading your Money file. Money will upgrade your file so you can work with it in Money 2005..." (and then more stuff).  I click "Next". It comes back with "Money cannot locate E:\Samir\Money\samir.mny" or can not open it, possibly because it is read-only file...."

I know it exists and it is not read only. I checked and changed the properties.  I was able to open the sample that's in the install directory. My system's region is Canada and so is the software. Any help?

Thanks

Monday, June 4, 2012 3:52 AM

Answers

• Because Canadian tax laws are different, I was not sure how "Sunset" will deal with that situation for stocks and the likes.

I ended up using the solution whereby I created a new installation CD from the old CD and the old Microsoft Money installed files (updated) from my acronis backup of the old system.

Once I installed Money from the newly created CD, I can read the my old files.  I have not done much else with it.  I will update you if I run into any issues.

I appreciate your help.

Samir

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:46 AM

All replies

• You will not be able to reinstall your Money 2005 with the needed updates on the new computer. Here is what I think will do it for you:

Make sure your regional settings Canada, CAD, etc, match the old computer.

Install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset on your new computer. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2118008

That should convert your old file to Money Plus format. If that all works, the converted file will not be readable by your old computer. You could put Sunset on that, however, but ONLY after your Money file is successfully  working on the new computer. Please let us know how this works with your Canadian Money 2005 file.

Monday, June 4, 2012 4:49 AM
  • Because Canadian tax laws are different, I was not sure how "Sunset" will deal with that situation for stocks and the likes.

I ended up using the solution whereby I created a new installation CD from the old CD and the old Microsoft Money installed files (updated) from my acronis backup of the old system.

Once I installed Money from the newly created CD, I can read the my old files.  I have not done much else with it.  I will update you if I run into any issues.

I appreciate your help.

Samir

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:46 AM
  • I would suggest you should create a spare copy of the CD and keep it somewhere different.  I also created an .IMG of my modified installation disk (pre sunset days) and dumped it on Dropbox.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 9:37 AM
  • Thank you for your tip. I have done exactly that. You never know when I would have to rebuild.

Samir

Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:25 PM