How do I get my files off of .dat files? RRS feed

• Question

• I have had a WHS since 2007, an original HP MediaSmart server, and it served me well until very recently.  I went away on a trip for a month and when I came back my server wouldn't start up.  I could turn it on, but ultimately the health light would blink red/blue intermittently for about 30 seconds and then it just blinked blue (no red) ad nausea.  I'm not technical, but what I could understand from the many forums I read was that it was a likely check disk and/or disk corruption error.  The one solution they offered that wasn't too technical to try to remove disks one by one and try restarting.  I did, but unfortunately I got the same result each time.

So I took my server hard drives to staples, and they harvested all the data from the WHS hard drives to a separate external HD.  The good part of this is that I now can access all of the files I had put in the separate server folders - photos, videos, important docs, etc.  But all of the files and information that were located in my computer backups now appear as .dat files and I have no clue of how to get to them.  Is there any way to do this that a non-technical person might be able to do?  I'm fine at following step-by-step instructions even if they're complicated, but they'd need to be really well drawn out.  I still have the original server and hard drives....is there a solution that I can reboot up that system and get to the files like I used to?

Thanks all so much for your help!  I feel entirely at lost with this and there are a lot of important files (pictures and tax documents, mostly) that were only located on my computer backups, and I need a way to get to them.

Monday, February 11, 2013 11:42 PM

All replies

• There is no tool other than Windows Home Server that can extract the data from client computer backups. To get it to boot back up, you could try reinstalling all drives in your server (making sure you put the system disk in the lowest slot) then going through a server recovery using the recovery disk you got with it originally.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:48 AM