Cyclical Redundancy Errors RRS feed

• Question

• I have started to get cyclical redundancy file errors popping up in my WHS shares.  Does this mean my drive

is failing?  I did a check disk on all my drives and received no error message.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:01 PM

Answers

• I ended up replacing the bad drive with a new one.  I did not have to reinstall WHS.  I then went into the WHS console and removed the old drive and added the new drive.  Then let it work stuff out over night.  I lost a number of computer backups, but that wasn't really a big deal.  I was surprised to find that all my share files were still there.  I have over 200gb of video files with duplication off because I didn't have enough disk space.  I tried playing a few of the video files and they work.    I am not sure why I didn't lose these.  I do have an external drive on my WHS that is set up as a server backup.  I regularly back up my shares to this.  Not sure if the WHS pulled the video files from there or not.  Any ways, it all seems to be working normal now, backing up my computers every night.

• Marked as answer by Blueracer Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:50 AM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 3:12 PM

All replies

• CRC errors normally indicate a serious problem of some sort. Occasionally it's a driver issue, but much more likely it's hardware. If you haven't yet, you can follow the steps in this FAQ to check and correct errors on your drives (probably this will be more thorough than what you've done so far). You should also read this FAQ, since CRC errors are usually accompanied by file conflict errors. If chkdsk doesn't reveal any errors, you should probably start testing the rest of your hardware. I would recommend starting with testing your memory, followed by making sure your power supply is delivering sufficient power to your drives.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Thanks Ken for your reply.  My WHS has taken a turn for the worst.  I have two 500GB drives in it.  Now one drive appears to have failed.  The WHS console screen locks up after clicking on a few icon buttons, such as checking on my computer backups.  I then have to go down into my basement and reboot the server.  Not sure what to do next.  Would it be best to replace the one drive and completely reinstall WHS or just swap out the bad drive for a new one.  I had duplication on all my shares except for my video files(not enough space to duplicate) so those files should be on the main drive still.

Friday, May 21, 2010 3:39 PM
  • A fresh install on a brand new drive will be the quickest way to recover your data. See this FAQ for more information on data recovery in this case. Also, you should not connect a Windows Home Server system drive from a foreign installation of the product (such as your previous installation) to a functional Windows Home Server installation; a number of problems may result, some of which can lead to yet another reinstallation. Instead, connect the drives from your current installation to another computer to check their status. Copying files from another computer to your server will be slow (across the network, after all) but should work just fine.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, May 21, 2010 4:58 PM
  • I ended up replacing the bad drive with a new one.  I did not have to reinstall WHS.  I then went into the WHS console and removed the old drive and added the new drive.  Then let it work stuff out over night.  I lost a number of computer backups, but that wasn't really a big deal.  I was surprised to find that all my share files were still there.  I have over 200gb of video files with duplication off because I didn't have enough disk space.  I tried playing a few of the video files and they work.    I am not sure why I didn't lose these.  I do have an external drive on my WHS that is set up as a server backup.  I regularly back up my shares to this.  Not sure if the WHS pulled the video files from there or not.  Any ways, it all seems to be working normal now, backing up my computers every night.

• Marked as answer by Blueracer Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:50 AM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 3:12 PM