401 Not authorized to access specified resource. RRS feed

• Question

• anyone getting this?  new version sounds great, but on one PC, I get a "could not synchronize folder in Live Mesh" popup with "Request to MOE failed with status code: 401 Not authorized to access specified resource" whenever I try to add a folder or anything relating to sync. 

If I attempt to change a member's status on a folder shared between two IDs, I get "member information could not be updated for the folder" followed by the "request to MOE..." as above.

XP SP3 with current security patches, 4 GB RAM (recognized as 3.25), user is running with admin rights.  Had no issues with previous version.  I'll email logs in a bit.

• Edited by tdatl Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:15 PM clarity
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:12 PM

Answers

• DarrenUtd said:

Ben [Live Mesh] said:

Hi all,

We are hard at work right now trying to resolve this issue (or these issues - there may be more than one cause).  We'll keep you posted, of course, though anyone who's willing to help us troubleshoot a bit more: please collect the Live Mesh logs from the computer returning the error and send email to lmprev@microsoft.com.  (You needn't necessarily attach your logs right away, but if you can collect them as soon as you see the error, so that you have them, we can let you know more specifically what we need to take a look at.)

Again, though, we're working hard to figure this out, and we'll update everyone once we have a solution.

Thanks,

Ben.

Ben,

Is there any news on this issue? 

It's weird, I can force the folder to sync by going to the Live Mesh Desktop in my web browser, but then I can't control its location on my computer (it appears on the desktop by default).  If I try to initiate the sync relationship from "Live Mesh Folders" on the local machine I get this 401 error.

I'd be happy with any of the following possible workarounds/solutions:

(1) Allow the user to change the default location from the desktop to a location of their choosing
    (2) Allow a synchronized folder to be moved without it breaking the sync relationship.
    (3) Fix the root cause of the 401 error.

Hi,

I'm afraid I do not have anything new to report.  We're still working on figuring out the root cause(s).  Which is to say, we're attempting your #3.  (Your #1 and #2 are actually popular feature requests, but are not available in the current version of Live Mesh.)

I will keep you posted when we know more.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:37 PM

All replies

• I just got this as well.  I am trying to share a folder from another person's account and got it when I tried to sync it with my local folder.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:27 PM
  • just curious as to what happens if you simply exit the Live Mesh and restart it?  i rebooted several times & nothing changed... but now I just exited & restarted & voila!  Very well may be the case MS changed something, but the problem seems to have disappeared.  I have now added a folder & changed member perms on this PC.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:47 PM
  • I'm getting this too, and restarting Mesh doesn't seem to make any difference :(. Even if I create a new (Windows) folder and ask Mesh to sync to it, I get this error.

I'm running Vista SP1...

pq

indigoblue
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Might just want to give it some time, I experienced the same problem with one of my devices today and just as I was about to add my issues to this forum, the client suddenly started working without restarting neither client nor device.
    A symptom was that my device list was not up-to-date on the notifier, when all my devices appeared the 401 problem disappeared.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 11:10 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  The device that is getting a 401 error is not showing all of the devices in my Mesh - it is missing a Mac based device that was added today.  In addition, it is showing all devices except itself and the Live Desktop as being offline.

The three other devices in the Mesh see all devices and work properly.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 11:33 PM
  • I am getting same error, vista sp1...can't create new shares and modifying the member permissions fails...but it works fine if logged into web desktop...

Friday, October 31, 2008 2:43 AM
  • Hi all,

We are hard at work right now trying to resolve this issue (or these issues - there may be more than one cause).  We'll keep you posted, of course, though anyone who's willing to help us troubleshoot a bit more: please collect the Live Mesh logs from the computer returning the error and send email to lmprev@microsoft.com.  (You needn't necessarily attach your logs right away, but if you can collect them as soon as you see the error, so that you have them, we can let you know more specifically what we need to take a look at.)

Again, though, we're working hard to figure this out, and we'll update everyone once we have a solution.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 2:50 AM
  • Ben,

I have submitted feedback for this problem, and attached logs to the report.

https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=378768

The Feedback ID is 378768.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 6:39 AM
  • I'm getting this same error 401 on my Vista machine.  It also does not show my mobile phone in the devices list in the notification bar icon.

I have a 2nd computer in my mesh running XP that syncs fine and does show the phone in the device list.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 8:17 PM
  • I too am getting the same error.  I'm getting it on both my XP SP3 and Vista SP1 machines.  What I'm trying to do is synchronize my Favorites folder from one computer to another.  So, on my first one, I went to my favorites folder and chose to add it to the Mesh.  Then, on my second computer, a Favorites shows up on my desktop.... of course not where I want it.  So, first, I chose to "change settings".... and change the folder it was pointing to... but cannot since the BROWSE button is disabled.  Then, I deleted the Favorites folder from my desktop that Mesh put there.  Then, in my Live Mesh Folders directory, I was able to right click on Favorites and chose "synchronize with this computer"... when I go select it to sync with a different directory, then this error (401 not authorized) pops up.
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 3:11 PM
  • BIG WARNING guys!

Do NOT try to uninstall/reinstall mesh or
    use system-restore in an attempt to fix the issue!
    I've had the same 401 error when either trying to add a new local folder to my mesh or when I attempted to sync a mesh folder with my device.

Since the uninstall and the reinstall I am no longer able to login to mesh with that computer, I'm getting an 500 Internal Server Error message when I enter my correct credentials. Even system restore to a point before I applied the new mesh update didn't change that fact.

So I'm stuck with the 500 error and can't even sync the previously synced folders anymore...

Just wait till the Mesh team figures it out and fixes the problem(s) - at least you can still sync your current mesh folders :)

~Simon

Saturday, November 1, 2008 5:17 PM
  • Ben [Live Mesh] said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Ben.

Ben,

It's weird, I can force the folder to sync by going to the Live Mesh Desktop in my web browser, but then I can't control its location on my computer (it appears on the desktop by default).  If I try to initiate the sync relationship from "Live Mesh Folders" on the local machine I get this 401 error.

(1) Allow the user to change the default location from the desktop to a location of their choosing
    (2) Allow a synchronized folder to be moved without it breaking the sync relationship.
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 11:01 PM
  • DarrenUtd said:

Ben [Live Mesh] said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Ben.

Ben,

Hi,

I'm afraid I do not have anything new to report.  We're still working on figuring out the root cause(s).  Which is to say, we're attempting your #3.  (Your #1 and #2 are actually popular feature requests, but are not available in the current version of Live Mesh.)

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Ben [Live Mesh] said:

Hi,

Thanks,

Ben.

Okay, thanks for the update.

Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:40 PM
  • In conjunction with a separate issue being resolved (at least temporarily), I checked earlier today and was able to snyc a folder in the location I wanted without getting the 401 error.  Has this issue been fixed?  Anyone else notice it working now?
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:26 PM
  • I was able to specify a location other than the desktop today, without 401 error... yay, now my favorites are all syncronized!   Thanks Mesh team!
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 6:24 PM
  • My problem went away when I opened msdn.microsoft.com in a browser (any Passport/LiveID site would work?) and signed out, and then signed back in.  This allowed my Live Messenger to sign in again, and also Mesh.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 2:26 PM
  • Got this error and tried signing out then signing in at the live mesh program. Then poof problem disappeared lol! Fixed!
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:19 AM
  • This issue still doesn't seem to be fixed.

I added a new Mesh folder on my Windows 7 (64bit) desktop, but when I try to change the sync settings so the folder is synced when my Windows XP SP3 (32bit) laptop adds or modifies a file, I get the 401 error. However, when set the sync options of the same folder on my Windows XP laptop, the issue does not occur and on the Windows 7 PC, the sync settings are correct.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:07 AM
  • If you are getting the error when trying to change the settings to allow sync to the XP machine for the folder added to your Mesh from the Win7 machine, how can the *same* folder work in the other direction?

Where are you getting the error? Are you trying to change the settings at www.mesh.com or are you trying to change the settings on the Win7 machine? Is the folder you added to the Mesh from the Win7 machine appearing on the Live Desktop? Has it appeared/been offered to any other device in your Mesh?

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:31 PM