Access files and folders without syncing? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to access files and folders through mesh without actually syncing?  Synchronization is very useful for some kinds of files, but many of the files I want to use remotely are too big to synchronize them across all computers.  Is there a way to access/use files using Mesh without having to actually download the files to your computer?  I'm thinking something along the lines of the "homegroup" feature, only over the internet instead of an internal network.

Thanks
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:26 PM

Answers

• No. Accessing a remote file means that you need to bring it local. Well, let me amend that. If you need to manipulate the file using a local application, the file needs to be local. This would hold true if your file was on a file server that you mapped to for access. The file comes local for use and saves back to the remote location. If the application exists on the remote machine, you could use Remote Desktop, connect to the remote machine and run the application on that machine. Then the network data being transferred is visual and control only, not the actulal file - that is the image/screen paints on your PC, and actions you make - keystrokes and mouse movements are transferred to the remote machine.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 12:19 PM
  • I wasn't thinking about actually manipulating the file, just using it.  Specifically, I'm trying to figure out if I can use my laptop to listen to music that is stored on my desktop at home (which I keep running during the day). 

Sorry that I missed that you had replied almost a week ago!

No, that can't be done. You can't stream from the remote PC using Live Mesh.

Now, that said, you *might* be able to use Live Mesh Remote Desktop to do this, but I'm suspecting that the experience would not be very nice. Bandwith and latency issues could cause the audio to be pretty nasty at time.

What you actually need is software that runs a "server" on the home PC. There are solutions for media sharing that will do what you want, but Live Mesh isn't one of them today.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    • Marked as answer by choldgraf Friday, March 26, 2010 6:29 AM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:59 PM

All replies

• No. Accessing a remote file means that you need to bring it local. Well, let me amend that. If you need to manipulate the file using a local application, the file needs to be local. This would hold true if your file was on a file server that you mapped to for access. The file comes local for use and saves back to the remote location. If the application exists on the remote machine, you could use Remote Desktop, connect to the remote machine and run the application on that machine. Then the network data being transferred is visual and control only, not the actulal file - that is the image/screen paints on your PC, and actions you make - keystrokes and mouse movements are transferred to the remote machine.
    -steve
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 12:19 PM
  • I wasn't thinking about actually manipulating the file, just using it.  Specifically, I'm trying to figure out if I can use my laptop to listen to music that is stored on my desktop at home (which I keep running during the day). 
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 7:42 PM

Sorry that I missed that you had replied almost a week ago!

No, that can't be done. You can't stream from the remote PC using Live Mesh.

Now, that said, you *might* be able to use Live Mesh Remote Desktop to do this, but I'm suspecting that the experience would not be very nice. Bandwith and latency issues could cause the audio to be pretty nasty at time.

What you actually need is software that runs a "server" on the home PC. There are solutions for media sharing that will do what you want, but Live Mesh isn't one of them today.

-steve

• Marked as answer by choldgraf Friday, March 26, 2010 6:29 AM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Alright then, thanks very much for your help!  One possible way to work around this, I've found, is to use a combination of folder sync and remote desktop.  

Essentially, just create a folder on your desktop called "Music Stream" or something, and sync it to the laptop.  

Then, when you want to listen to music from your PC, you control it with remote desktop, then drag music files into the synced folder...it takes a bit to download to your laptop, but it works alright!

Chris

Friday, March 26, 2010 6:29 AM