Off Topic:Init error RRS feed

• General discussion

• When my Windows XP boots up, I get an Init error that says "Resource file missed, please reinstall program".  How do I reinstall the resource file program ?????
    • Changed type JimR1Moderator Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:33 PM Off Topic.
    • Edited by JimR1Moderator Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:52 AM Off Topic.
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Friday, July 10, 2009 12:32 PM off topic (MSE) (From:Microsoft Security Essentials: Getting Started and Upgrading)
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 7:37 PM

All replies

• This depends on what program we're looking at. Do you have any further information or other details on this error you are seeing?
    The Moon, My Crimson Sanctuary
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 7:49 PM
  • If I understand your additional question,... I'm just turning on the computer. It's the Windows XP system. The error message is exactly as I indicated,... with a box that can be checked as "OK".  It does not impede the operation of the computer, and I can continue as usual. But the message appears everytime I turn the computer on. When I check the OK box,... the message goes away. It's asking me to reinstall program,....???
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:30 PM
  • If I understand your additional question,... I'm just turning on the computer. It's the Windows XP system. The error message is exactly as I indicated,... with a box that can be checked as "OK".  It does not impede the operation of the computer, and I can continue as usual. But the message appears everytime I turn the computer on. When I check the OK box,... the message goes away. It's asking me to reinstall program,....???

This can be due to an application which was previously installed on the system and was left behind when it was removed or uninstalled thus causing this error during logon. Its a start-up application which we can easily disable through MSCONFIG or the System Configuration Utility.

Kindly see if the steps below can help you:

1. Open MSCONFIG by typing it on RUN from the Start menu.
    2. Once in the System Configuration Utility (MSCONFIG) go to the Startup tab.
    3. In the Startup tab check if you can find any startup item that may allude to the error you are seeing.
    4. After finding the entry you can uncheck it then hit apply.
    5. Restart and then see if you have the same error.

After performing the steps you may see a message saying that you have modified some settings. Just put a check mark for Do not show so that this prompt will not reappear everytime you restart.

I hope that helps.

Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:17 AM
  • The Moon, My Crimson Sanctuary

Thank You,.... Your idea worked,...       Thanks !
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:56 PM
  • Glad to hear that! We're always here to help out.

Cheers!
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:45 PM
  • What program did you disable nielsenratings? I am having the same issue only with no matching start-up programs. I am thinking what I have may be a virus. My computer did not start up last time and I had to let the computer try to repair itself, which got me booted up. But, now this error appears and does so suspiciously. Isn't "Init" the application initiator for Linux? What is it on Vista?
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 12:12 AM