Logon UN/PW not working for HS website RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

As of yesterday my username/password simply stopped working for the WHS website.

Logging in to the HS directly and changing my password, then trying to login through the website, still doesn't work, I am definately using the correct un/pw.

So far the only way I have figured out to solve this issue is to delete my account and recreate it (this has happened previously) but does anyone know of a better work around?

Cheers,

Louiswu
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:45 AM

Answers

• One thing: if/when this happens again, please file a bug on Connect. Include server logs taken using the WHS Toolkit. Without those steps, there is probably almost no chance that Microsoft will be able to research this issue at all.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:26 PM

All replies

• Have you installed any add-ins or 3rd party software to the server?

Still.....
    Grey
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:02 PM
  • Yes I have 3 addons total I think.

WHS webfolder share addon
    Advanced disk management addon
    Email notification addon.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:10 PM
  • Check the event log on your server for any related warnings or errors around the time frame of the logon error.
    The user has still remote access permissions and is not administrator of the server?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:33 PM
  • Yeah the user still has remote permissions set.

I wasn't even aware you can use the Adminstrator account on the HS to log in via the website?

I'll check the logs once I'm at home (at work at the moment).
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:42 PM
  • Ok it gets weirder, my UN/PW is now working for the HS website again, I've just taken a look at the logs, so here are the related ones to my UN:

Remote access logon fail. User matt LogonFail . Currently logged on users:

'matt' is the user I've been trying to connect with, the PW is definately correct, but the event viewer offers no further information.

To reiterate, I can now connect with user 'matt' no problem, but nothing has changed between now and then, and this has occured in the past.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:48 PM
  • One problem is, since the password is not shown during typing, you cannot be fully sure about a typo or a disadjusted keyboard.
    Also there may happen situations, that bits get changed due to networking issues on the way between the remote system and the WHS.
    Or the firewall on the location from which you are trying to login is blocking necessary ports, which could lead to the login process failing. (In this case this would happen always from the same location.)
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 1:03 PM
  • Well 1.) A typo is possible but I've been using the same pw for years and failing to login due to typo's 4 times is far too unlikely to be the cause.

2.) It seems to be for 'peroids' of time which may possibly support your networking issues theory?

3.) It's defo not a port issue as I've already noted that I can login (e.g. now)

Ty for responding.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 1:11 PM
  • No more word on this?
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 1:24 PM
  • MLouisWu said:

No more word on this?

no. What can we discuss? We see according to your event log, that the WHS gets the request and logon failed. If there are no more errors in the event log (or in the IIS logs below Windows\system32\logfiles), we can't tell you much more. Would all be pure speculation, which is not helpful.
    Network connections over the Internet are not always working well, so if you would create port forwarding for remotedesktop to your normal PC, do a remotedesktop session with that in the same time frame in which the other authentication fails and are able to login to the remote interface of your WHS from there we could blame a certain segment of the connection, but not more.

The system times on both the WHS and the client are identical? Or do they differ by a few minutes? This could also result in a logon failure, but you would see it in the event log under security.
    Olaf
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:16 PM
  • One thing: if/when this happens again, please file a bug on Connect. Include server logs taken using the WHS Toolkit. Without those steps, there is probably almost no chance that Microsoft will be able to research this issue at all.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:26 PM