Office Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB949810) prevents other updates RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've recently installed Office 2003 on about 10 PCs here on my network.  All of them installed KB949810 and then continue to install the other patches like Office SP3, but one PC is giving me trouble.  It always fails to install KB949810, it won't show any of the rest of the updates, and I see no solution for this out there.

It seems most people are trying to avoid KB949810, but I could care less.  I have legit licenses.  I simply want to install the other necessary updates without needing to select them one by one.
    • Edited by justin.gray Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:07 PM Being more specific
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:10 PM Moved to relevant category (From:Feedback and Comments)
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:06 PM

All replies

• Hi justin.gray! I am a new user to ‘Windows Vista Home Premium’ using ‘SP2’. From ‘Automatic Update’. ‘Windows Update’ shows (1) Important update I could select for ‘Office 2007’. Name: ‘Office Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB949810), Size: 712 KB, Published: 11/17/2009. I currently do not use any ‘Office 2007’ software. Although I do currently have ‘Office 2007 Home and Student’ trial version installed from ‘Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct’. The trial version has expired and has not been perpetuated to the full version. Would I need this important up date to receive and install other necessary updates too?

Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:51 AM
  • Hello justin.gray,

Normally support for problems regarding installing Windows Updates would be handled by following the Windows Update troubleshooter built into the WU webpage, and by visiting the Windows Updates Support Center at support.microsoft.com, or by visiting the Windows Updates newsgroups at microsoft.com.

However, previous posters have told us that the KB 949810 update can fail to install when the computer has the Task Scheduler service turned off, which is normally on by default.

If you check the computer and the Task Scheduler service seems to be set as a default service and is working fine, go ahead and work the WU support paths that I posted above.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:06 PM
  • Hello Tradition,

The KB949810 update is not normally a prerequisite update for any other updates.

If you do not plan to use or convert the installed (but expired) trial of Office H&S 2007, I would suggest that you uninstall it from the Programs applet of the Control Panel.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:09 PM
  • Hi Dan at IT Associates! Alright! Thanks for your reply. I will keep that suggestion in mind. I’m currently keeping ‘Microsoft Office Home & Student’ trial version so I can view files in ‘reduced functionality mode’ only. Would downloading (KB949810) still be considered an important update for my ‘PC’?

Friday, November 20, 2009 11:05 PM
  • Hello Tradition,

The KB949810 update is considered important by Microsoft because it checks for nongenuine software.  Installing nongenuine software on a computer is a well-known attack vector, so any computer with nongenuine software may already be at greater risk.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:29 AM