The product ID number you entered is not supported in the country that you have selected. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I bought a TOSHIBA notebook two years ago with windows 7 home Premium. I reinstall the whole windows using the factory pre-install package. Then install lots of updates because the pre-installed image was 2009 version.

Later I found out the daylight saving time is not correct. Then I tried to install "Update for Windows 7 (KB979306)" - it is daylight saving time patch, it gave me the error message "The update is not applicable to your computer."

Tried to get support from Microsoft, and it asked me to input my product key. I found it on the bottom of my notebook and type into the box and continue. It shows "The product ID number you entered is not supported in the country that you have selected.".

I bought it from local electric retailer ("The Source" in Canada), and my notebook setting is in Canada.

I have a licensed production but I cannot get help.

Who knows what's wrong in my case?

Thanks

Xiaogang Zheng

• Edited by Xiaogang Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:32 AM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:27 AM

Answers

•   In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in your own thread.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:30 AM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:42 AM
    Answerer

All replies

•   In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in your own thread.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:30 AM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:42 AM
    Answerer
  • Thank you, Cbamhorst,

Diagnostics detects and gives me another product ID that is not the same as the one on the bottom of my notebook.

It is the producer (TOSHIBA) or retailer (The Source) problem ?

I will try to use the detected product id to see the result.

Thanks

Xiaogang

Xiaogang Zheng
    • Edited by Xiaogang Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:31 AM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:28 AM
  • Please just run the report and paste the output into your reply here.  The product key in your report is the embedded key from the factory.  The product key on the label is different.  It is the emergency key for reactivation should the embedded key not link properly with the info in the BIOS on the motherboard.  Don't try to figure anything out right now and just follow the instructions in announcement 1 at the top of this page.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:37 AM
    Answerer
  • "Xiaogang" wrote in message news:0d38094c-b63c-4100-8e08-0cadf8fd6a32...

Hi

I bought a TOSHIBA notebook two years ago with windows 7 home Premium. I reinstall the whole windows using the factory pre-install package. Then install lots of updates because the pre-installed image was 2009 version.

Later I found out the daylight saving time is not correct. Then I tried to install "Update for Windows 7 (KB979306)" - it is daylight saving time patch, it gave me the error message "The update is not applicable to your computer."

Tried to get support from Microsoft, and it asked me to input my product key. I found it on the bottom of my notebook and type into the box and continue. It shows "The product ID number you entered is not supported in the country that you have selected.".

I bought it from local electric retailer ("The Source" in Canada), and my notebook setting is in Canada.

I have a licensed production but I cannot get help.

Who knows what's wrong in my case?

Thanks

Xiaogang Zheng

The number on the sticker is your Product Key – NOT the Product ID.
    You find the Product ID by going to the System page and looking at the bottom of the page.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:56 AM
  • Please post the Diagnostic Report.  We can help you, if you let us.
    Darin MS
    Friday, January 13, 2012 9:57 PM
  • No further reply from the original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:29 AM