Sytem At Risk NOT!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Everytime I turn my computer on I get the very stupid message that my system is at RISK because I turned the automatic updates off.  IT'S NOT

I'm not an idiot.  I CAN download updates. 

There needs to be a way to change the message because to be honest I'm at the point where I may not check anymore because I'm going assume that the message is the same and that could put someone at risk because they may ignore a REAL risk message. 

This program assumes everyone is an idiot. 

Even though I get this program free with my broadband subscription I'm looking at other programs that don't assume I'm an idiot.  Programs such as Panda doesn't assume we're idiots and I like that. 

If you don't use the automatic backup feature you get the same message.  Shouldn't you be able to personalize these programs be a bit more? 

I also am not thrilled with the feedback system.  It limits you to 1000 charactors but doesn't tell you how many you've used.  this is an easy fix. 

And because you don't have any identifying info on the feedback you can't hear back.  I'd like to hear what Live OneCare has to say about these issues.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:22 PM

Answers

• This is a topic that comes up fairly often.

Here's a copy of the response I've posted to other threads on this topic.

"I agree with your assessment that forcing the setting to automatically install is bad for me (and you). However, I can tell you from personal experience that there are many, many people who happily ignore Windows Updates - even when they are set to notify - and end up with severely compromised systems. I have personally repaired dozens of systems where the AU icon was alerting the user about updates to be applied and based on the number of updates available, that icon was alerting them for months and sometimes years!

What I would prefer is that OneCare required that Automatic Updates was *on* for any settings desired in order to be green. Since OneCare already does a check of Windows Update for updates not yet offered and installed by Automatic Updates when a Tune-up is performed, I think OneCare should perform that check daily and/or check for the state of AU in that when an update is offered as available, OneCare should change to yellow alert status. If the user then ignores the warning yellow status for 24 hours, OneCare should turn red. If another 24 hours elapses without action by the user, OneCare should switch on AU to automatically install the updates and provide a dialog to the customer that this action was taken and why.

Since that functionality does not currently exist in OneCare, we need to live with the simplistic setting requirement that AU must be set to automatic download and install at a specified time of our choosing. Pick a time that is least likely to impact you. You cannot change the way OneCare warns you if you do not have AU configured this way."

I can't speak for the feedback form, but that's not limited to OneCare, it is used by all of the Windows Live offerings via http://feedback.live.com I do know that feedback is reviewed, but there won't be a response.

-steve

Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:55 PM

All replies

• This is a topic that comes up fairly often.

Here's a copy of the response I've posted to other threads on this topic.

"I agree with your assessment that forcing the setting to automatically install is bad for me (and you). However, I can tell you from personal experience that there are many, many people who happily ignore Windows Updates - even when they are set to notify - and end up with severely compromised systems. I have personally repaired dozens of systems where the AU icon was alerting the user about updates to be applied and based on the number of updates available, that icon was alerting them for months and sometimes years!

What I would prefer is that OneCare required that Automatic Updates was *on* for any settings desired in order to be green. Since OneCare already does a check of Windows Update for updates not yet offered and installed by Automatic Updates when a Tune-up is performed, I think OneCare should perform that check daily and/or check for the state of AU in that when an update is offered as available, OneCare should change to yellow alert status. If the user then ignores the warning yellow status for 24 hours, OneCare should turn red. If another 24 hours elapses without action by the user, OneCare should switch on AU to automatically install the updates and provide a dialog to the customer that this action was taken and why.

Since that functionality does not currently exist in OneCare, we need to live with the simplistic setting requirement that AU must be set to automatic download and install at a specified time of our choosing. Pick a time that is least likely to impact you. You cannot change the way OneCare warns you if you do not have AU configured this way."

I can't speak for the feedback form, but that's not limited to OneCare, it is used by all of the Windows Live offerings via http://feedback.live.com I do know that feedback is reviewed, but there won't be a response.

-steve

Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:55 PM
  • I also run into this, occasionally on my HP laptop which has XP home version installed, but by the time the system boots, it realizes that everything is installed and the firewall, etc. are not turned off, the Onecare circle goes from red to green again. On my husband's HP laptop which is much newer and has Vista installed, it happens to him every time he turns on the computer. Like mine, by the time it is totally rebooted, it changes from red to green and shows that everything is fine.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:37 PM
  • Hi, mal4ever.

In your case, the at risk warning that appears and then goes away is typically due to low resources at boot time. If many programs are trying to start at once, you may get that warning, either from OneCare because it had problems starting services it depends on or from the Windows Security Center until OneCare is able to tell the Security Center it's status.

If you remove some un-needed programs from startup, this problem may go away for you.

-steve

Friday, July 25, 2008 1:26 PM