OneCare with Outlook 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I seem to be having a little issue with OneCare (specifically the MsMpEng.exe service) and how it interacts with Outlook 2007.  Whenever I have Outlook 2007 open, the MsMpEng.exe process constantly reads the hard drive.  I'm thinking this is because it's scanning my PST files.  However, I wouldn't think it would need to constantly scan the PST files.  After leaving Outlook open for an hour or so, I'm seeing page faults for the MsMpEng.exe process in excess of 1.5 - 2 million.  That just doesn't seem right to me.

I've searched high and low on this site, as well as in Google and haven't been able to find out if this is normal, or if it's a configuration problem, etc.

Any help or insight anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Shawn

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Steve,

Well I found the problem.  I had actually turned the Indexing Service on a few days before and forgot about it.  I suddenly remembered I had turned it on, so I tried turning the service off and bingo - no more excessive page faults, etc.

I'm going to do a little digging and see what I can find about Indexing Service with Outlook.  I'm not sure if it was trying to index the information in the pst files or what.  But, I just figured I'd send you a quick note.

Thanks again for your help!

Shanw

Sunday, July 27, 2008 3:48 PM

All replies

• I use OneCare with Outlook 2007 on several machines and don't encounter the issue you are describing. Usually, when msmpeng goes "wild" it is due to a conflict with some other program, typically security software, but it can be something else. Are you running any add-ins with Outlook? If so, try disabling them and see if the problem goes away. Perhaps you have a leftover com add-in for a virus scanner that is active with Outlook, which could certainly cause the problem with msmpeng.

You may also want to contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:43 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.  I really appreciate it.  I actually was running Norton Internet Security 2006 or 7 before I un-installed it and replaced it with OneCare.  I went through the registry and through the Common Files folder under program files and noticed that there were some DLLs in there still related to NIS.  So I went on Symantec's website and downloaded one of those cleaner programs they have to fully unistall these products.  I ran that and it looked like it cleaned everything else out, but the same problem occus.  Kind of weird to me.  I will check the Outlook Add-Ins and see what I can find.

I really apprecaite your reply though, Steve.  Thanks for the help!

Shawn

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:39 PM
  • You're welcome. Let us know what you find or if support helps you out.

-steve

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:57 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Well I found the problem.  I had actually turned the Indexing Service on a few days before and forgot about it.  I suddenly remembered I had turned it on, so I tried turning the service off and bingo - no more excessive page faults, etc.

I'm going to do a little digging and see what I can find about Indexing Service with Outlook.  I'm not sure if it was trying to index the information in the pst files or what.  But, I just figured I'd send you a quick note.

Thanks again for your help!

Shanw

Sunday, July 27, 2008 3:48 PM
  • Thanks for the information. The indexing service can indeed index Outlook items...

-steve

Monday, July 28, 2008 3:49 PM