WGA TRAY RRS feed

• Question

• After using Windows update yesterday 5/25/06 to download the WGA Tool every time I start my computer I get a message from my firewall that the WGA Tray is trying to access the Internet. Is this normal and if so how many time does it need to validate my copy of Windows when it's been verified many many times? If I tell my firewall to not to allow always will this cause a problem? I don't think it need to validate every time I start my computer and who knows what other info it might be getting off my computer.
    Friday, May 26, 2006 3:17 PM

Answers

• Yes TCW88:

This is normal behavior of the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications. All information about the Notifications program can be found at the WGA FAQ, http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en.

The Notifications program only connects to the internet on first load of the user login, and then shuts off.

I hope this helps,

-Phil Liu

Friday, May 26, 2006 6:40 PM

All replies

• Yes TCW88:

This is normal behavior of the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications. All information about the Notifications program can be found at the WGA FAQ, http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en.

The Notifications program only connects to the internet on first load of the user login, and then shuts off.

I hope this helps,

-Phil Liu

Friday, May 26, 2006 6:40 PM
  • I read almost all of the stuff on the site before I posted and didn't see anything relevant. What I do not understand is why is needs to keep validating. It validated upon install and a few other times when I download a few powertoys and such  and now it wants to check every time I boot. I find that totally unacceptable. I am not a thief, never have been. I paid hard earned money for my copy of XP pro and don't need a cop over my shoulder everytime I boot my machine. I think I'm gonna learn Linux.
    Friday, May 26, 2006 10:23 PM