none
32bit WHS - 64bit PC Windows 7 WHS - 32bit Connector not installing RRS feed

• Question

• I have just moved over my PC Windows7 to the 64bit OS and when I try to install the WHS Connector as instructions it always installs the 64bit connector. WHS is 32bit. I have removed and tried many times to download the 32bit from the WHS, but it always runs the 64bit version. Even when I run the WHS toolkit it tells me the error is that the connector software is not compatible with the WHS OS. I have completely removed WHS programme and all WHS files, but this does not sort the problem.

For information the 64 bit software does install, but when connecting I just get a blue consol screen.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks Gary  

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:10 PM

Answers

• Is the WHS fully updated?  In the WHS Desktop, open the Console, go to Settings and the Resources tab, should be the last one.

1.  Is PP3 installed.  Should say "Windows Home Server with Power Pack 3"

2.  What version is the console, should say "Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0"

If it shows something different, then go to the General tab and click on Update Now...Repeat until no further updates are offered and then check for 1 and 2 again.  While on the General tab, check to ensure the date and time are correct and also click on Change to ensure you also have the correct time zone.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Thanks again BullDawg, Also tried this and also deleting files from copy folder and trying each in turn with no success. Here is something new though. Although I can log on to WHS remotely I just connected a Windows7 32bit laptop to my network and tried to install the connector. Exactly the same thing; a blue screen so think Ken is correct it's a WHS problem and not a pc problem.

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by garyghj Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:28 PM
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 12:09 PM

All replies

• Where are you getting this 64-bit connector from ? Use the Connector which installs from your Server.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:23 PM
  • Thanks Phil, that is exactly what I am doing, but it installs the 64bit version and not the 32bit!

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:29 PM
  • I did not realise that there was a 64-bit WHS1 Connector and if there is, why wouldn't you want it on your 64-bit OS?! You can download directly from Microsoft here:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=1622

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:34 PM
  • Thanks again Phil, but I have tried this and all it does is connect to WHS software folder and then run the 64bit version. There is a 32bit version in the software folder, but it is a Windows installer Package and not an application. Setup for some reason selects the 64bit version by default.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:41 PM
  • But you have a 64-bit OS, so I guess that's why. The fact that WHS is 32-bit shouldn't matter.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:44 PM
  • The problem is then that when I runs the consol after login it is just a blue screen and when I run the WHS toolkit it tells me the error is that the connector software is not compatible with the WHS OS

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:48 PM
  • This is not a 64-bit Connector to a 32-bit Server problem (there is no 64-bit version of Windows Home Server until WHS2011). So you have installed the Connector from the Server you are connecting to using http://servername:55000 and you get this problem?

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:57 PM
  • Thanks again Phil, but not sure what that means! Is there a way of getting the 32bit version without it coming from the WHS software folder? As mentioned every time I try installing the connector either through the map network drive or burning the iso to disk and using that, it always connects back to the WHS software folder and then installs the 64bit version. I have tried copying the software folder to my desktop and deleting the 64bit version but that does not work either.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:14 PM
  • When you mention that there is no 64bit version of Connector it is certainly in the WHS Software folder alongside a 32bit version. It installs as a 64bit version and when I uninstall, it is called WHS Connector(x64) I have not downloaded any connector software to the WHS and there is only one folder called Home Server Connector Software

Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:36 PM
  • No, what I said was I didn't realise there was both 32-bit and 64-bit Connectors (which of course I should have known). There is no 64-bit Windows Home Server software (OS) other than WHS2011. What I am saying is the 32-bit connector you are trying to install will not fix your problem - you do not need a 32-bit connector to connect to the 32-bit Server.

Can you log into your server locally and see if the Console can be opened that way, failing that try a Remote Desktop Connection to the Server and see if the Console can be opened.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:07 PM
  • Any advice would be welcome. Thanks Gary  

When you install the connector, you get the correct version for your operating system. A 32 bit operating system gets a 32 bit connector, and a 64 bit operating system gets a 64 bit connector. So the 64 bit version you're getting is the right one.

As for the blue screen you mention when you try to run the server console, wait. A long time. Several minutes, even. See what happens. Everything that's going on is happening on your server; the console is an application running on the server in a remote desktop session that's had all extraneous interface elements removed.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:32 PM
  • Thanks again gentlemen, Phil's point about remote access, yes I can get to the console via remote access so it works ok on the WHS. However Ken the blue screen has now been running for over 8hours and still the same.

I have run again WHS Connector Toolbox and this is a cut and paste of the error message; 'The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server. Make sure you are installing the correct version of the Connector software'

Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:57 AM
  • I should add that the only problem seems to be the blue screen, which I still think is the 64bit connector being installed instead of the 32bit. I right clicked on the WHS tray icon and on the menu clicked backup now and the backup has started and I can even view Backup Status.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:08 AM
  • Perhaps you need to reset the console.

To reset the Windows Home Server Console

1.. Right-click the Windows Home Server tray icon, and then click Windows Home Server Console.

2.. On the console password page, click Options.

3.. Click Reset the Windows Home Server Console.

4.. Click OK.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I should add that the only problem seems to be the blue screen, which I still think is the 64bit connector being installed instead of the 32bit. I right clicked on the WHS tray icon and on the menu clicked backup now and the backup has started and I can even view Backup Status.

BullDawg
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:25 AM
  • Thanks BullDawg. I tried this twice yesterday without success, but will try again after backup completed.
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:30 AM
  • Also, try another install with these procedures.  Ensure all four files are copied even though you may not think you need the x64.msi

a.. Copy the files shown below from the folder "C:\WHS" in your Windows Home Server to a local folder in your Windows 7 computer.
    a.. After they are copied to your WIndows 7 computer, double-click on setup.exe and follow the screen instructions.

setup.exe
    WHSConnector.msi
    WHSConnector_x64.msi
    WHSConnectorInstall.exe

If it doesn't work the first time, then uninstall the connector from the client, reboot the client and try again.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Thanks BullDawg. I tried this twice yesterday without success, but will try again after backup completed.

BullDawg
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 11:00 AM
  • Thanks again BullDawg, Also tried this and also deleting files from copy folder and trying each in turn with no success.  Here is something new though. Although I can log on to WHS remotely I just connected a Windows7 32bit laptop to my network and tried to install the connector. Exactly the same thing; a blue screen so think Ken is correct it's a WHS problem and not a pc problem.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 11:22 AM
  • Is the WHS fully updated?  In the WHS Desktop, open the Console, go to Settings and the Resources tab, should be the last one.

1.  Is PP3 installed.  Should say "Windows Home Server with Power Pack 3"

2.  What version is the console, should say "Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0"

If it shows something different, then go to the General tab and click on Update Now...Repeat until no further updates are offered and then check for 1 and 2 again.  While on the General tab, check to ensure the date and time are correct and also click on Change to ensure you also have the correct time zone.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Thanks again BullDawg, Also tried this and also deleting files from copy folder and trying each in turn with no success. Here is something new though. Although I can log on to WHS remotely I just connected a Windows7 32bit laptop to my network and tried to install the connector. Exactly the same thing; a blue screen so think Ken is correct it's a WHS problem and not a pc problem.

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by garyghj Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:28 PM
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 12:09 PM
  • Thank you BullDawg, That did the trick I thought WHS updates were set to automatic. Several updates and it now works and for information the installed version of Connector is 64bit so appologies to Phil and Ken for doubting you.

Many thanks again

Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:28 PM
  • It appears that many v1 Connector problems are related to WHS not being fully updated.  Even if auto update is on, it may take a week or longer for a new WHS v1 install to update itself on its own.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Thank you BullDawg, That did the trick I thought WHS updates were set to automatic. Several updates and it now works and for information the installed version of Connector is 64bit so appologies to Phil and Ken for doubting you.

Many thanks again

BullDawg
    Monday, February 20, 2012 2:39 AM
  • I've done everything in this thread yet still get "...software does not match the version of windows home server" when the backup fails.

It was doing backups fine 2 weeks ago.

On the WHS it says I have Power Pack 3 and

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.3436.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.3039.0

On the Windows 7 PC it says Windows Home Server Connector ver. 6.0.3436.0 is installed.

Any clue how to fix this?

Saturday, March 3, 2012 4:09 PM
  • every time I have had an odd connector issue the problem has always been the clock on the WHS box not being the correct date / time... reset it and all is well.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:50 PM