none
I wonder if the moderation team would care to investigate this...... RRS feed

• Question

• Lately, I have begun to notice the abuse of Helpful Votes.

The following thread is just one of the examples.

Are moderators able to trace the person(s) recklessly clicking Helpful Vote ?

Thread in question.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:21 PM

Answers

• Mods wouldn't be able do that. You may be able to view source or you can also look at specific users activity but a user can only vote once so it may be time intensive on your part.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Moderators cannot see who voted a post as helpful (that I'm aware of, at least). What about that thread makes you believe that the votes are being abused?

Remember, the vote button is now only marked as 'Vote' instead of 'Vote as helpful', so new people may not realize that this is a points mechanism.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,225+ strong and growing)

Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:29 PM
  • Mods wouldn't be able do that. You may be able to view source or you can also look at specific users activity but a user can only vote once so it may be time intensive on your part.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:36 PM
  • Hi,

Moderators cannot see who voted a post as helpful (that I'm aware of, at least). What about that thread makes you believe that the votes are being abused?

Remember, the vote button is now only marked as 'Vote' instead of 'Vote as helpful', so new people may not realize that this is a points mechanism.

Yes. Good point.

Once, a while back, I did have a couple of members who clicked the Mark As Answer button each time they relied back to me.

They thought they were to click my Mark As Answer button first before they "answered" back to me. I had to tell them to unmark all of them.

I know it is a "PITA", but what's the point of having a reward system if we don't educate the members what and how to use it ?

Thursday, March 19, 2015 3:10 PM

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

No. I just found it uncommon.

Furthermore, there was an incident that a member purposefully "messed" around with the Vote option. He got caught.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 3:12 PM
  • I know it is a "PITA", but what's the point of having a reward system if we don't educate the members what and how to use it ?
    I've lobbied to get rid of points entirely. I don't think many people agree with me, but it would certainly get rid of the pointgrubbers and those who feel the need to create secondary accounts to vote their posts up.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 3:18 PM
  • I know it is a "PITA", but what's the point of having a reward system if we don't educate the members what and how to use it ?

I've lobbied to get rid of points entirely. I don't think many people agree with me, but it would certainly get rid of the pointgrubbers and those who feel the need to create secondary accounts to vote their posts up.

Yes. I agree.  But that is not going to happen.

Reward system is an enticement to attract "better qualified" contributors, theoretically speaking. A gimmick working on the "ego mentality" of human nature.

The downside is : abuse and under-handed practice flourish. Another dark side of  human nature.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 3:28 PM
  • >I've lobbied to get rid of points entirely.

Good.

I use the NNTP bridge, so I'm blissfully unaware of any points system
    anyway :)

Dave

Thursday, March 19, 2015 4:09 PM
  • Thread in question.

Votes on the OP?  I wonder if that is just some who are using that instead of the Alert mechanism to be sure that they are on an "interested parties" list that will work even if the page ages out of their My Threads?  For example, they could subscribe to their Activity, thus creating a longer list than the default, and then filter with Voted.  <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, March 22, 2015 12:22 PM
  • Hi,

I found something, but, I would like to understand one point first before I draw a conclusion.

Under Activity of a person's profile, what does this phase mean .....Contributed a helpful post.........

Does it means that..... a person voted a post helpful ?

If yes, I have found a person using a different profile and voted his posts as helpful.

Friday, March 27, 2015 5:33 PM
  • Hi,

I found something, but, I would like to understand one point first before I draw a conclusion.

Under Activity of a person's profile, what does this phase mean .....Contributed a helpful post.........

If yes, I have found a person using a different profile and voted his posts as helpful.

It means that someone voted up the user's post.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, March 27, 2015 5:49 PM
  • I found something, but, I would like to understand one point first before I draw a conclusion.

When you see 'Contributed a helpful post' on person A's activity list, that means that a post of person A's has received a vote from person B (whomever that may be, that information isn't shown anywhere that I'm aware of outside of Person B's activity list).

Friday, March 27, 2015 5:50 PM