Question about Certfication regarding Windows Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I do not have any IT certification and am trying to make a career change into the field. I have some basic knowledge I learned on my own. But very basic. If I wanted to study Server 2008- would exam number 70642 be the best first exam to take?

Again, I am interested in learning Server 2008 and would like to know what the first test would be for this, so that I will know what to study etc... I am finding the certification info very confusing. thanks!

Thanks

Boris

Monday, February 14, 2011 11:17 PM

Answers

• If you are completely new to IT certification, you may find it easier to start with one of the client operating system examinations, such as 70-680. If your experience is limited, you will find that this exam is easier to tackle, and it will later count towards your MCITP:Enterprise administrator certification if you choose to pursue it.

70-642 is also a good choice, and it will give you an MCTS on Network infrastructure. But if you only have very basic knowledge, you will need to spend some time doing some serious studying, since the exam does require quite a bit of knowledge. See the "Skills Measured" page for this exam here:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-642&locale=en-us#tab2

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, March 4, 2011 3:39 PM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:43 AM
  • Start with the CompTIA basic courses - A+, Net+, maybe even Server+ before you consider going to anything like the Microsoft certification courses.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:55 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• If you are completely new to IT certification, you may find it easier to start with one of the client operating system examinations, such as 70-680. If your experience is limited, you will find that this exam is easier to tackle, and it will later count towards your MCITP:Enterprise administrator certification if you choose to pursue it.

70-642 is also a good choice, and it will give you an MCTS on Network infrastructure. But if you only have very basic knowledge, you will need to spend some time doing some serious studying, since the exam does require quite a bit of knowledge. See the "Skills Measured" page for this exam here:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-642&locale=en-us#tab2

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:43 AM
  • hi thanks for the information..... I am very new to IT certification- I have none.. I also do not work in the field but want to do a career change.

I am familiar surfing the net, changing memory etc... but want to pursue a career learning server or something along those lines.

do you have a list of the courses that are required for the mcitp? I am not to familir with it. thaanks

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:35 PM
  • Start with the CompTIA basic courses - A+, Net+, maybe even Server+ before you consider going to anything like the Microsoft certification courses.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:55 PM
    Answerer
  • about 14 years ago I took A+ and 12 years ago took a CCNA Cisco.... worked for 1 year then lost my job and never worked in computers since.

I have forgotten a lot of what I learned but was exposed

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:07 PM
  • do you have a list of the courses that are required for the mcitp? I am not to familir with it. thaanks

Take a look at the certification pages:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx

There you see the available certifications and the required exams. If you click on an exam, you will get into a page that contains tabs for the "Skills Measured" by that exam, and the "Preparation materials", including books and courses.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:13 PM
  • hi and thanks for your reply regarding

"If you are completely new to IT certification, you may find it easier to start with one of the client operating system examinations, such as 70-680. If your experience is limited, you will find that this exam is easier to tackle, and it will later count towards your MCITP:Enterprise administrator certification if you choose to pursue it.

70-642 is also a good choice,..."

I was looking at MCITP ENTERPRISE and I didnt know the 70680 applies to that.

Let me ask you something: I since I do not work in the computer field,  for me I want to find a dvd lesson that will cover this material.. one that will have a home lab that I can set up on my pc...

are there any dvd companies that you recommend that go through the material and have follow along home labs? I was looking at train signal, but dont know to much.

thanks BORIS

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:40 PM
  • 70-680 is one of the options for the required client exam for the MCITP Server 2008 Enterprise Administrator.

As to  CBT training, take a look at CBT Nuggets, TestOut and Trainsignal.  All three offer good video-based training materials.  TestOut and Trainsignal inlude sample test questions.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:52 PM
    Answerer