Unmountable_Boot_volume RRS feed

• Question

•  

I think I have hosed myself.  I highly suspect that this is virus related.

I got a warning that the health of my hard drive contact SYS was failing.  I went into the console and selected repair. After a couple of hours the system rebooted and now I cannot get any where.  The system boots, if I select Safe mode (any of the 3 choices) the system gets to acpitabl.dat and then will reboot.  If I boot the original DVD, it offers no repair options, just takes me into the set up (shows the SYS drive as RAW) but offers no repair mode, just a new install.  It says it will format all my drives so I cancelled it.  I have almost 3 TB's not backed up (I know shame on me).

I have tried booting from a live CD (Ubuntu) and can see the drive fine.  I think I just need to get somehow to a command prompt and run Fixboot but have failed to find a route.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Monday, April 21, 2008 1:02 AM

Answers

• Try running fixboot from an XP install disk. If that doesn't work (I don't think it will; I think you have bigger issues than a hosed up boot sector), then you can do the WHS shuffle: disconnect all data drives and reinstall WHS. Then connect your data drives one at a time, but don't add them to the storage pool. After connecting a drive, copy everything in <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. to \\SERVER\etc. Then add the drive to the pool, and wait for DE to migrate your files off of the D: partition. Then proceed to the next drive. Lather, rinse, repeat.
    Monday, April 21, 2008 3:31 PM

All replies

• Try running fixboot from an XP install disk. If that doesn't work (I don't think it will; I think you have bigger issues than a hosed up boot sector), then you can do the WHS shuffle: disconnect all data drives and reinstall WHS. Then connect your data drives one at a time, but don't add them to the storage pool. After connecting a drive, copy everything in <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. to \\SERVER\etc. Then add the drive to the pool, and wait for DE to migrate your files off of the D: partition. Then proceed to the next drive. Lather, rinse, repeat.
    Monday, April 21, 2008 3:31 PM
  •  

Windows, for all it's flaws, security holes, etc... is still the best package out there overall. There's tons of annoying things with Windows but by far, it's the easiest system to use and maintain.

WHS is a great product built on a solid foundation, it's a shame it wasn't bug-tested enough before release.

Monday, April 21, 2008 4:11 PM
  • Surprisingly, I booted from my Media Center boot CD and got to the recovery command prompt.  Ran a chkdsk /r which took about 20 minutes but after I have been able to reboot!  YEAH!!

Now my next question having gotten this scare, given my WHS is my back up solution for my home PC, what is the best solution to back up the back up?  Sounds redundant but to lose everyones data scares me more.

Monday, April 21, 2008 10:45 PM
  • My answer is to use the server for what it's intended for. I'm not going to load a lot of add-ins and third party software. If my server turns up unbootable, I've already done a server recovery, just to see what would happen. And I store copies of my shares off-site, on external drives that I rotate every month.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:12 AM