Dreaded error "There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server. The server might not be available." in Outlook Client Configuration Wizard for CRM Cloud RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all:

I have tried everything and still get the same error. "There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft Dynamics CRM server. The server might be unavailable. Try again later. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator"

This is what I get in the log file

19:23:09|   Info| === Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook Configuration Wizard logging started: 9/7/2013 7:23:09 PM ===
    19:23:09|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ClientConfig.Initialize
    19:23:09|   Info| Client Configuration Wizard Version      : 5.0.9690.2903
    19:23:09|   Info| Client Configuration Wizard LanguageID   : 1033
    19:23:09|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.Validator.IsOutlookInitialized
    19:23:09|   Info| Query all rows in profile table
    19:23:09|   Info| Outlook is  initialized
    19:23:09|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.Validator.IsOutlookInitialized
    19:23:09|   Info| Client Configuration Wizard Running Mode : Normal
    19:23:09|   Info| Configuration file Type : OnPremise.
    19:23:09|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.MainForm.MainForm
    19:23:09|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ConfigInfo.ConfigInfo
    19:23:09|  Error| Exception : Method 'GetHttpRequest' in type 'ClientOrganizationContext' from assembly 'Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Components.Platform, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' does not have an implementation.    at Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.ClientOrganizationContextFactory.Get(Guid organizationId)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.ClientOrganizationContextFactory.GetAll()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ConfigInfo..ctor()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.MainForm..ctor()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ClientConfig.AddDeployment_FullUI(Boolean runInsideOutlook)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ClientConfig.Run(Boolean runInsideOutlook)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ClientConfig.Start(String[] args, Boolean runInsideOutlook)
    19:23:11|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ClientConfig.Terminate
    19:23:11|   Info| Exit code: Failure
    19:23:11|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ClientConfig.Terminate
    19:23:11|   Info| === Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook Configuration Wizard logging stopped: 9/7/2013 7:23:11 PM ===

I googled this message but found nothing. FUlly uninstalled and re-installed and nothing. (Including Update 14).

I also tried the Troubleshooter, and even tried repairing Windows Live Essentials. I Have Win7 OS 64bits, Outlook 2010 32bits (with Matching CRM Client, of course :))

I am trying to access a 30 day Cloud trial to no avail. I am able to access via IE and Firefox. 

Experts, any idea? I tried the same bits in another machine , same config, and everything went perfect.

Thanks in advance for your kind help

Alejandro Leguizamo

Saturday, September 7, 2013 5:43 PM

All replies

• Weirdly the log says OnPremise for config file type. It might be worth uninstalling and ensuring you delete any remaining files from the install folder. When you configure the org are you choosing CRM online as the org type then just entering your cloud credentials?

MS CRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    Dynamics XRM Tools CRM 4 to CRM 2011 JavaScript Converter Tool
    CRM 2011 OData Query Designer
    CRM 2011 Metadata Browser
    CRM Forum Guidance

Sunday, September 8, 2013 9:40 AM
  • HI Reth:

Thank you for your reply!. Indeed, I also noticed that. At first, I tried my orgname.crm4.dynamics.com, and only later, after a failed install, I tried the "CRM Online" option.

I am removing everything and trying again. Will post in a couple hours again, with the results

Alejandro Leguizamo

Sunday, September 8, 2013 8:39 PM
  • HI Reth:

Well, I uninstalled, wen to my CRM Web, and followed the "Get CRM For Outlook" button. That downloaded a file of 7 MB  or so, and after openning it, It started downloading the binaries. (This process is different than the one I used before, which was downloading the client from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27821)

Now, this installer sets up the binaries and additionally KB2855319 (Critical update from July 26 2013)
      first and then KB2849744 (Update Rollup 14)

Now, when running the configuration Wizard , the log correctly states

23:02:26|   Info| Client Configuration Wizard Running Mode : Normal
    23:02:26|   Info| Configuration file Type : Online.

(Which is an indicator that the two clients are different, and this is not documented by Microsoft)

Now, the sequence is this: When I open the Wizard, I see only the "Server URL" filled up with the "CRM Online" option. When I click on "Test Connection", I am able to see my organization information section filled up correctly. However, the log is internally throwing this 

23:25:13|  Error| Error connecting to URL: https://disco.crm.dynamics.com/XRMServices/2011/Discovery.svc Exception: System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityAccessDeniedException: Access is denied.

Server stack trace:
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ThrowIfFaultUnderstood(Message reply, MessageFault fault, String action, MessageVersion version, FaultConverter faultConverter)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.Discovery.IDiscoveryService.Execute(DiscoveryRequest request)
       at Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.Client.DiscoveryServiceProxy.Execute(DiscoveryRequest request)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.DeploymentsInfo.DeploymentInfo.LoadOrganizations(AuthUIMode uiMode, Form parentWindow, Credential credentials)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.DeploymentsInfo.InternalLoadOrganizations(OrganizationDetailCollection orgs, AuthUIMode uiMode, Form parentWindow)
    23:25:15|   Info| Fill organization comboBox with server information.

(I'll come back to the last line in a moment)

I tried accessing the https://disco.crm.dynamics.com/XRMServices/2011/Discovery.svc url, and get to it perfectly . (Tried both IE and Firefox)

Anyway, I try to continue: Now, the config still fails. I am able in the screen to contact my organization -Option "CRM Online"  - , but clicking the OK button to close the wizard , throws the same error, and the following lines get added to the Log. 

23:32:08|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ServerForm._okButton_Click
    23:32:08|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ServerForm._okButton_Click
    23:32:18|  Error| Exception : Method 'GetHttpRequest' in type 'ClientOrganizationContext' from assembly 'Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Components.Platform, Version=5.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' does not have an implementation.    at Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.ClientOrganizationContextFactory.Get(Guid organizationId)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.ClientOrganizationContextFactory.Add(Guid organizationId)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ServerInfo.LoadUserId()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ServerInfo.Initialize(Uri discoveryUri, OrganizationDetail selectedOrg, String displayName, Boolean isPrimary)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ServerForm.LoadDataToServerInfo()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ServerForm.<InitializeBackgroundWorkers>b__2(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

This error seems like a code error (aka "Bug")?

Well, at this point, I will try the option of Fill organization comboBox with server information. and will write my organization full name (https://MYORG.crm4.dynamics.com), but in this case I get another error (Via Pop-Up) stating : "Cannot connect to Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server because we cannot authenticate your credentials. Check your connection or contact your administrator for more help." , followed by the "Credentials" Pop-up window

The error is flawed, cause I have authenticated with exactly the same credentials.

The log states

23:36:53|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ServerForm._testConnectionButton_Click
    23:36:53|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ServerForm.TestConnection
    23:36:53|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ServerForm.TestConnection
    23:36:53|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ServerForm._testConnectionButton_Click
    23:37:02|  Error| Error connecting to URL: https://MYORG.crm4.dynamics.com/XRMServices/2011/Discovery.svc Exception: Microsoft.Crm.CrmException: Logon failed because credentials are invalid ---> Microsoft.Crm.Passport.IdCrl.IdCrlException: LogonIdentityExWithUI()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Passport.IdCrl.FederationLogOnManager.LogonPassport(String policy, String partner, LOGON_FLAG logonFlag)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Passport.IdCrl.FederationLogOnManager.Logon(String userName, String password, String partner, String policy, String& memberName)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Outlook.ClientAuth.PassportAuthProvider`1.SignIn()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Crm.Outlook.ClientAuth.ClientAuthProvidersFactory`1.SignIn(Uri endPoint, Credential credentials, AuthUIMode uiMode, IClientOrganizationContext context, Form parentWindow, Boolean retryOnError)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.DeploymentsInfo.DeploymentInfo.LoadOrganizations(AuthUIMode uiMode, Form parentWindow, Credential credentials)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.DeploymentsInfo.InternalLoadOrganizations(OrganizationDetailCollection orgs, AuthUIMode uiMode, Form parentWindow)
    23:38:05|  Error| Error connecting to URL: https://MYORG.crm4.dynamics.com/XRMServices/2011/Discovery.svc Exception: Microsoft.Crm.CrmException: Logon failed because credentials are invalid ---> Microsoft.Crm.Passport.IdCrl.IdCrlException: LogonIdentityExWithUI()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Passport.IdCrl.FederationLogOnManager.LogonPassport(String policy, String partner, LOGON_FLAG logonFlag)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Passport.IdCrl.FederationLogOnManager.Logon(String userName, String password, String partner, String policy, String& memberName)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Crm.Outlook.ClientAuth.ClientAuthProvidersFactory`1.RetrieveUserCredentialsAndSignIn(Uri endPoint, Credential credentials, Form parentWindow, Boolean retryOnError, IClientOrganizationContext context)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Outlook.ClientAuth.ClientAuthProvidersFactory`1.SignIn(Uri endPoint, Credential credentials, AuthUIMode uiMode, IClientOrganizationContext context, Form parentWindow, Boolean retryOnError)

Again, for testing purposes, I access https://MYORG.crm4.dynamics.com/XRMServices/2011/Discovery.svc and get perfect response via IE and Firefox

So, what is going on? Anyone from Microsoft interested in a bug report? :)

Thank you all for reading.

Alejandro Leguizamo

Sunday, September 8, 2013 9:46 PM
  • Hi,

Try adding CRM to you trusted sites in Internet Explorer, and then try again.

Please feel free to contact me using the following methods

• Proposed as answer by Roshan Mehta Monday, September 9, 2013 10:06 AM
    Monday, September 9, 2013 10:06 AM
  • Hi Roshan:

I already did that, and also the same for the full list of addresses that Microsoft uses to interact with CRM Online

Alejandro Leguizamo

Monday, September 9, 2013 1:17 PM
  • Hi all:

Well, I had to contact Customer Support. IN short, I had to uninstall everything, delete all registry keys, delete all temp file form the %TMP% folder.

Then, check "Ad/Remove programs" so I could see that there was nothing left related to CRM, and then, delete any remaining folder.

After that, disable Windows Update, go to CRM web site, and install with the downloader. When the installer asks for update, choose NO, and then verify that version is Update Rollup 6. At that point, install Update rollup 11.  And then FINALLY I was able to config and initialize the organization.

However, now I have a problem within OUtlook. CRM Ribbon has all the buttons grayed out, and when clicking on the organization folder, it stays stuck on "CRM isgning in".

I close the thread with this message . Thank you everyone.

Alejandro Leguizamo

Monday, September 9, 2013 9:54 PM