How to remove WGA Validation for test purposes? RRS feed

• Question

• I appreciate that this may not be the correct forum for this thread, but have been unable to find a better MS/MSDN location.

I wish to temporarily remove the WGA validation tool for test purposes.

I am developing a website which uses DRM, and consequently requires Individualization of Windows Media Player.

I need to be able to test my upgrade scenarios for end-users, one of which will be that the end-user does not have WGA Validation components installed. In this case the end-user will need to install WGA Validation tool before installing the WMP individualization component.

I will obviously need to re-install the WGA Validation components as part of my process.

Many thanks
    Friday, May 9, 2008 10:42 AM

Answers

• adaptive,

There is no Microsoft-supported method for uninstalling either the WGA Validation Tool or the WGA Notifications Tool.

Lori MS

Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:10 PM

All replies

•  

What you need is a VOLUME LICENSE KEY (VLK) version of XP Pro, those do not need activation: They are either pre-activated or the entire WPA system has been removed. I have seen this a few times, XP cds that would just install and they are activated the moment that the first window screen was shown. They stand alone and do not need to connect to the internet.

Most likely Microsoft will not tell you how to get such a version of XP, but if you check with friends you know who work in big businesses, they might have one- These are issued to Corps who install XP in 1000 workstations or so. They might deny it, but I have seen it.

Or you can look for some closed programming groups, who might let you borrow such a disk, try exetools or antiwpa, type those into google and search for forums where people talk about it. There are a few others but you will just have to search on your own.

Sometimes you just have to go around microsoft when you are tying to get something done.

Friday, May 9, 2008 10:18 PM
  • adaptive,

There is no Microsoft-supported method for uninstalling either the WGA Validation Tool or the WGA Notifications Tool.

Lori MS

Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:10 PM