none
Are there problems with running vb6 executables on Windows XP that were compiled under Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded to Windows 7 Professional and ported my VB6 development system to it without any problems. I did NOT tick the 'Run in Windows XP Compatability mode' in the VB6.EXE Properties window as the IDE seems works just fine (apart from being a bit slow when pasting Controls onto a Form).

I have been compiling programs without problems and have tested them on my old Windows XP computer and they seem to work just fine. It is an accounting package that stores data in an Access (Jet 4) database.

I began supplying these executables to my clients (who run mostly XP computers) this week. Yesterday, one of these clients (in a busy 9 terminal environment) reported random 'freezing' when accessing the Access database over a LAN to Windows 2003 Server. They say that everything worked fine until they installed the new executables. I have supplied these executables to numerous other clients who have not reported any problems.

Using Microsoft's FC.EXE (File Compare program), I have compared an executable compiled under Win7 with the same executable compiled under WinXP and, although they are identical in size, there are lots of differences between them.

Is anyone aware of problems running VB6 executables on WinXP that were compiled under Win7?

• Moved by Andreas Johansson Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:40 PM VB6 (From:Visual Basic Language)
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:21 AM

Answers

• I recently upgraded to Windows 7 Professional and ported my VB6 development system to it without any problems. I did NOT tick the 'Run in Windows XP Compatability mode' in the VB6.EXE Properties window as the IDE seems works just fine (apart from being a bit slow when pasting Controls onto a Form).
    Agreed, it works just fine in Windows 7.  And I'm running the x64 version.  You?

Is anyone aware of problems running VB6 executables on WinXP that were compiled under Win7?

I'm not, no.  That said, I don't do wide distribution.  Mostly in-house.  When I do want to make sure I have a completely clean build, I do it in an XP VM.  Are you familiar with Virtual PC?  Given you want to continue working with VB6 (and who wouldn't! <g>), it's time you were if you're not.

.NET: It's About Trust!
    http://vfred.mvps.org

Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:19 PM

All replies

• Be aware that Microsoft does not guarantee anything which is about VB6 in your Windows 7 OS.

However, in top of this forum, you see a new nice tab for Visual Basic 6.

This is a forum only for supported versions from Visual Basic (in fact the Net versions).

Success
    Cor
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 8:06 AM
    Agreed, it works just fine in Windows 7.  And I'm running the x64 version.  You?

I'm not, no.  That said, I don't do wide distribution.  Mostly in-house.  When I do want to make sure I have a completely clean build, I do it in an XP VM.  Are you familiar with Virtual PC?  Given you want to continue working with VB6 (and who wouldn't! <g>), it's time you were if you're not.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:19 PM
  • Thanks, Karl

No, I'm using 32-bit Win7 on a 32-bit processor.

Yes, I have worked with Virtual PC. However, my software is used by about 2000 clients and I am refining and enhancing it daily, so I'd really like to avoid any extra PT that'll slow down the production cycle.

As I still backup all my stuff onto an XP machine, I could just compile them there.

The problem site is going through a rigorous network analysis and virus checking procedure so I'm hoping it'll turn out to be a false alarm. Thanks for your input.

Yep! VB6 still rocks!

Glen Pearce

Saturday, June 12, 2010 5:12 AM
  • Thanks, Cor. Point taken.

Glen Pearce

Saturday, June 12, 2010 5:14 AM
  • Hi Glen --

Well, I tend to lean towards there being something wrong with the one client's setup, rather than that being the only one of many to exhibit some really weird defect that compiling under a different OS bestows.

The easy answer would be to do a special compile for them, on XP, and see if it makes a difference?  Can't tell you how many times I've heard, "We didn't change anything else!"  I suppose I've said it a time or two, myself, too. <g>

Good luck...   Karl

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:12 AM
  • Hi. I know its very late to answer, but however. This might be a problem with manifests and InitCommCtrl. Do you use manifests or that api?
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 2:13 AM
  • Yes...

I am currently having a problem running my VB6 executables, compiled under Windows 7 32 bit, on XP computers.

The message is... Error: Class does not support automation or does not support expected interface.

I just switched from an old XP computer to a new Win 7 Pro 32 bit.

In VB6, on both the XP and Win7 computers, the programs test OK.

The References and Components are identical in VB6 on both computers.

Programs compiled on the XP computer run on XP, Vista and Windows 7.

Programs compiled on the Windows 7 computer will not run on XP.

jdm3
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:15 PM
  • Please use the VB6 section for any VB6 related issues. This forum only covers VB.NET.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/ms788229.aspx

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:39 PM