CRM Custom Forms Online/Offline RRS feed

• Question

• Please bear with me, I am fairly new to CRM. I am trying to figure out if a particular scenario is doable, and if so, would appreciate some direction on the best approach.

First, the requirement is to have an opportunities form that allows inputting multiple rows at once, saving all at once. This is primarily a UI change, as underlying business logic for opportunities remains, for the most part, the same. The users want to replicate how they would interact with Excel, as opposed to doing a single row at time update/insert. There are the main opportunity data entities, and some custom fields that we are capturing.

Currently, a page is called via an iframe, calling a page in a separate application that uses the web service api's in CRM to insert/update data. For tighter integration, and offline use, it would be preferable to have this as part of CRM.

So, for some basic questions:
      - if I want to re-create basically a custom form, using whatever UI pieces I need (possibly Telerik components, but not necessary), doing calls to the api's, would I create a plugin, and how doable is this?
      - will this then tranlate easily to offline use?

The reason for asking is that the documentation is not clear (to me) as to how you might use the plug-in architecture in more of a forms centric way, as opposed to creating discrete business logic components that would be used with built in form. Is the approach is similar to .net web server controls that produce UI output as opposed to working directly with user controls and aspx pages?

The goal is to leverage the built in capability for offline data changes, syncronization, etc., and all that this entails, as opposed to getting in to doing this separately.

Regards,

Paul

Thursday, January 7, 2010 3:29 PM

Answers

• Well, I think I figured out how this approach would best work. A quote from a website (can't remember which):

ISV folder

Microsoft Dynamics CRM now provides a specific folder on the server and in Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook where custom Web pages and Web services can be added to Microsoft Dynamics CRM. This folder provides a supported location for custom code to be placed so that it works well with Microsoft Dynamics CRM. Web pages and Web services that are located in this folder will frequently be referenced by Site Map, ISV.Config, and IFrames

I also found some good articles on developing for offline use - http://www.xrmlinq.com/kb/how-to-publish-link-customaspx-dynamics-crm/.

So, if I use the ISV folder to create any pages/services I need, that gives me the ability to create full web pages/services/controls for whatever custom UI features I need. I would probably call these pages within an iFrame, and then I should follow the guides for which CRM services/assemblies to use for online/offline use.

Yes?
    Friday, January 8, 2010 3:59 PM

All replies

• Well, I think I figured out how this approach would best work. A quote from a website (can't remember which):

ISV folder

Microsoft Dynamics CRM now provides a specific folder on the server and in Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook where custom Web pages and Web services can be added to Microsoft Dynamics CRM. This folder provides a supported location for custom code to be placed so that it works well with Microsoft Dynamics CRM. Web pages and Web services that are located in this folder will frequently be referenced by Site Map, ISV.Config, and IFrames

I also found some good articles on developing for offline use - http://www.xrmlinq.com/kb/how-to-publish-link-customaspx-dynamics-crm/.

So, if I use the ISV folder to create any pages/services I need, that gives me the ability to create full web pages/services/controls for whatever custom UI features I need. I would probably call these pages within an iFrame, and then I should follow the guides for which CRM services/assemblies to use for online/offline use.

Yes?
    Friday, January 8, 2010 3:59 PM
  • I don't know.  I personally haven't done it, but I've read all over that custom ASP code deployed in the same fashion as the link you provided, will NOT deploy itself to the Offline mode of the CRM for Outlook client.  The site you referenced doesn't even say that the project is applicable to offline development.  However, this too has been of interest to me:  whether an ISV solution can be deployed on the server, and replicated to offline-capable clients automatically, without versioned installer packages for local deployment.
    Dave Berry
    Friday, January 8, 2010 5:30 PM
  • Just to clarify, CRM 4 provides no mechanism for deploying custom ASP .Net code to offline clients - you have to use your own installers for this
    Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com  http://www.excitation.co.uk
    Monday, February 15, 2010 6:17 AM