Dual Hard Drive installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have built a little higher end machine to run WHS and I need a little advice. I have four hard drives, each pair are in a mirror raid. I want the OS on the first volume and the Data to go onto the second volume.

I did a practice install and saw that it automatically partitions the 1st drive, giving the first 20Gigs to the OS and the remainder to the data and the second drive is ignored until the installation is over.

How can I install WHS so that the first volume houses the OS and the second volume houses the data?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:23 PM

Answers

• You can't. The system drive will always create a DATA partition for its use, in case of a one-drive scenario.
    As well, your tombstones and other information are stored on that partition.

The data itself will not be stored there, unless your other disks are already full.
    So don't be too concerned. My system drive only has the 20 GB OS and little else on D: besides tombstones :)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:48 PM

All replies

• You can't. The system drive will always create a DATA partition for its use, in case of a one-drive scenario.
    As well, your tombstones and other information are stored on that partition.

The data itself will not be stored there, unless your other disks are already full.
    So don't be too concerned. My system drive only has the 20 GB OS and little else on D: besides tombstones :)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:48 PM
  • Hi,

I know WHS is a different product but it looks like its built on SBS 2003 so I was hoping that my setup could be defined by using an answer file. So has this been disabled?

A two drive system is usually setup for performance.

Thanks,
    Mike

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:11 AM
  • Hi,

I know WHS is a different product but it looks like its built on SBS 2003 so I was hoping that my setup could be defined by using an answer file. So has this been disabled?

A two drive system is usually setup for performance.

Thanks,
    Mike

I don't recall ever seeing anyone mention trying an answer file.  But even if it did work (which I doubt), it would be unsupported (which, by the way, RAID is also unsupported on WHS).
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:26 AM
  • Windows Home Server is a scripted set of installations, starting with the partitioning of your hard drive before the start of text mode setup for Windows Server 2003. There are (unsupported) ways to change the size of the C: partition, and by extension the D: partition, but it's not possible to completely move D: off of the system drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:19 AM
  • Thanks for the replies guys.

I typically use hardware raid and not software raid so it being supported is not an issue. I typically use a answer file in all my setups including XP. Moving the User or Documents and Setting folder improves performance and enhances data security. Thanks for the word on the partitions, this was kind of what I was looking for and I get the idea, anything specialized or dramatically changed, like running dcpromo or changing the partition sizes, is unsupported.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:34 AM
  • Running DCPROMO is a violation of the EULA (doing so is explicitly forbidden) and will in any case cause problems with Windows Home Server's security model, because there are no local accounts or groups on a domain controller, and Windows Home Server creates and uses local accounts and groups.

As for an answer file, there's no documentation on creating one. Effectively Windows Home Server is an OS installation, plus applications, done via answer files and scripting anyway, so the installer's ability to control setup is going to be extremely limited. If you're so inclined you can dig through the Windows Home Server installation disk and see what you can learn...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 3:29 AM