Upgrade from crm3.0 to crm4.0 problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem upgrading from Microsoft CRM3.0 Small Business version to CRM4.0 Workgroup on a Small Business Server 2003 R2, I finished the upgrade process successfully but when i open the CRM4.0 i got this error "Unable to find Active Directory object for SID", I got mad reupgrade many times and i got the same error and i didn't find any solution on the internet regarding this error. The upgrade was successfully finish and the CRM4.0 prechecks got no alerts.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:39 AM

Answers

• Since the upgrade did not finish successfully, you will probably need to open a Microsoft Support ticket to identify the best path forward.  I doubt we will be able to resolve the potential issues you are going to encounter in this forum due to the failed upgrade. 
    Best Regards, Donna
    Monday, July 20, 2009 12:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Catty,

When you launch CRM, did it prompt you to enter your user name and password? I came across something like this when CRM automatically logon with the local system admin account instead of the AD administrator account.

You can make CRM to prompt for your user name and password by changing some settings in Internet explorer under Internet options | Security | User Authentication.

I hope this helps. 
    Darren Liu | 刘嘉鸿 | MS CRM MVP | English Blog: http://msdynamicscrm-e.blogspot.com | Chinese Blog: http://liudarren.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Hi Darrenliu,

I made CRM to prompt for username & password but the error still exist "Unable to find Active Directory object for SID"
    can you explain in more details what exactly happen with you may be we are near from my problem.

Many thanks for your reply
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 7:17 AM
  • actually i tried to login with another crm user not the local admin but it give the same error.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 7:19 AM
  • What is the error from the event viewer?
    Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:22 PM
  • hi
    download the CRMDIAGTOOL and enable the errors and post the results
    Tiaan van Niekerk http://crmdelacreme.blogspot.com Skype:tiaan.van.niekerk1
    Friday, July 3, 2009 2:51 PM
  • On the EVENT VIEWER i found this warning :

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
    Event Category: Web Event
    Event ID: 1309
    Date:  7/5/2009
    Time:  10:21:14 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: RAFICHEMSRV
    Description:
    Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 7/5/2009 10:21:14 AM Event time (UTC): 7/5/2009 7:21:14 AM
    Event ID: dfca1de49cbb47a296c6b3267b7a5cb7 Event sequence: 11
    Event occurrence: 5 Event detail code: 0 
    Application information:     Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/5/ROOT-1-128908348549601250     Trust level: Full     Application Virtual Path: /     Application Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM\CRMWeb\     Machine name: RAFICHEMSRV  Process information:     Process ID: 4332     Process name: w3wp.exe    
    Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE  Exception information:    
    Exception type: CrmSecurityException    
    Exception message: Unable to find Active Directory object for SID 
    Request information:     Request URL: http://10.0.0.122:5555/default.aspx    
    Request path: /default.aspx     User host address: 10.0.0.122     User: RAFICHEM\Administrator     Is authenticated: True     Authentication Type: Negotiate     Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE  Thread information:     Thread ID: 1     Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE     Is impersonating: True     Stack trace:    at Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.SecurityUtils.GetGuidFromSid(Byte[] sid)
       at Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.SecurityUtils.GetGuidFromSid(SecurityIdentifier sid)
       at Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.SecurityUtils.CheckTokenMembershipHelper(WindowsIdentity identity, Byte[] groupSid)
       at Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.SecurityLibrary.CheckPrivilegeGroupForOrganization(WindowsIdentity identity, IOrganizationContext context)
       at Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.SecurityLibrary.GetPrivilegedUserCallerAndBusinessGuidsFromThread(WindowsIdentity identity, IOrganizationContext context)
       at Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.SecurityLibrary.GetCallerAndBusinessGuidsFromThread(WindowsIdentity identity, Guid organizationId)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.InProcessCrmService.Execute(Object request)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.ServiceCommands.PlatformCommand.ExecuteInternal()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.ServiceCommands.RetrieveAvailableLanguagesCommand.Execute()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Utility.ApplicationLanguage.get_AvailableLanguages()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.AppUIPage.get_AvailableLanguages()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.AppPage..ctor()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Web.Default..ctor()
       at ASP.default_aspx..ctor()
       at __ASP.FastObjectFactory_app_web_ki_ycmyz.Create_ASP_default_aspx()
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildResultCompiledType.CreateInstance()
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert)
       at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath)
       at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.System.Web.IHttpHandlerFactory2.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
      Custom event details:

I got the CRMDIAGTOOL but i didn't get more details about the error this is what i got:

Error Description:

Unable to find Active Directory object for SID
    Error Details:

Unable to find Active Directory object for SID

Full Stack:

[CrmSecurityException: Unable to find Active Directory object for SID]
       at Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.SecurityUtils.GetGuidFromSid(Byte[] sid)
       at Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.SecurityUtils.GetGuidFromSid(SecurityIdentifier sid)
       at Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.SecurityUtils.CheckTokenMembershipHelper(WindowsIdentity identity, Byte[] groupSid)
       at Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.SecurityLibrary.CheckPrivilegeGroupForOrganization(WindowsIdentity identity, IOrganizationContext context)
       at Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.SecurityLibrary.GetPrivilegedUserCallerAndBusinessGuidsFromThread(WindowsIdentity identity, IOrganizationContext context)
       at Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.SecurityLibrary.GetCallerAndBusinessGuidsFromThread(WindowsIdentity identity, Guid organizationId)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.InProcessCrmService.Execute(Object request)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.ServiceCommands.PlatformCommand.ExecuteInternal()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.ServiceCommands.RetrieveAvailableLanguagesCommand.Execute()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Utility.ApplicationLanguage.get_AvailableLanguages()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.AppUIPage.get_AvailableLanguages()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.AppPage..ctor()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Web.Default..ctor()
       at ASP.default_aspx..ctor()
       at __ASP.FastObjectFactory_app_web_ki_ycmyz.Create_ASP_default_aspx()
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildResultCompiledType.CreateInstance()
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert)
       at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath)
       at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.System.Web.IHttpHandlerFactory2.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Other Message:

Error Number:

0x80041D2A
    Source File:

Not available
    Line Number:

Not available

Sunday, July 5, 2009 8:25 AM
  • Install the latest rollup

get into the Application pool "Identity" and change it to an other application user or service
    do a iisreset.

also
    Open the CRM deployment manager on the CRM server and make sure the default
    organization is enabled.  If the deployment manager does not open correctly
    when you log on the server as the user who isntalled CRM, I would repair the
    installation of CRM.

The security groups should have been added to Active Directory when CRM was
    installed.  The security groups are described in more detail in chapter 2
    Installation document of the CRM 4.0 Implementation Guide.
    Tiaan van Niekerk http://crmdelacreme.blogspot.com Skype:tiaan.van.niekerk1
    Monday, July 6, 2009 4:32 AM
  • I already installed CRM4.0 Rollup 4, The deployment manager open correctly and i used it to import the organization database but after the importing it still gives the same previous error.

I changed the "identity" on the application pool to the LOCAL SYSTEM but the error "Unable to find Active Directory object for SID" still exist, Then i changed it to the "LOCAL SERVICE" i got this error

Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1).
    error CS2001: Source file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\upreo2v9.0.cs' could not be found
    error CS2008: No inputs specified

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1).
    error CS2001: Source file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\upreo2v9.0.cs' could not be found
    error CS2008: No inputs specified
    Monday, July 6, 2009 9:26 AM
  • Have you already tried using Network Service as the Identity for the CRM and Default App Pool?
    Best Regards, Donna
    Friday, July 17, 2009 12:55 PM
  • Hi Donna,

Actually after the upgrade complete the default Identity for the CRM is the Network Service.

I mentioned that after the upgrade it gives me this message before clicking finish for the upgrade:

Microsoft Dynamic CRM Server upgrade completed with errors:
    - Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.PublishDuplicateRuleAction failed.
    - Publishing CRM reports failed.

And after clicking finish and restart the crm still have the same error "Unable to find Active Directory object for SID", deos anyone have an idea about this issue.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 7:45 AM
  • Since the upgrade did not finish successfully, you will probably need to open a Microsoft Support ticket to identify the best path forward.  I doubt we will be able to resolve the potential issues you are going to encounter in this forum due to the failed upgrade. 
    Best Regards, Donna
    Monday, July 20, 2009 12:44 PM
  • You need to create SPN for the HTTP service and the machine name to get rid of the "Unable to find Active Directory object for SID" error

At Command Prompt:

setspn -a HTTP/<Website FQDN> <machine-name>

Refer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755413%28WS.10%29.aspx for more examples.

Gopalakrishna
    Creator of CFugue
    http://gpalem.web.officelive.com/CFugue.html
    Friday, December 11, 2009 6:42 AM
  • CrmAppPool identity need to be domain user. (CRM administrator user account).

Regards,

Sandeep Lad

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:03 AM