Does my proposed IT career training make sense to you? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I intend to change career from translator to an IT professional. I would already describe myself as a power/advanced PC user.

The route that has been proposed for me is:

A+/Network+  >  MCDST  >  MCTS  >  MCITP (Win 7).

Thus, I am taking the foundation computer courses, then getting certified as a desktop support agent for Win XP (which is the OS I know best and use in my daily work), finally ending up as an enterprise desktop support technician in Windows 7.

The exams I will take are:

1) A+

2) Network+

3) 70-271 (courses MS2261 & MS2262) = MCDST

4) 70-270 (course 2285) = MCTS

5) 70-680 (courses 6292A & 6294) = MCITP

What do you guys think of this proposed route and the courses/exams needed to complete it? Does it make sense? Will it be useful for securing a job?

Just as important, what skills/certifications are employers of IT professionals (hardware support/repair, software support/helpdesk, system administrator, network administrator) looking for now? What qualifications may be needed in the near future?

Thanks for your constructive advice! :)

Ed

Friday, June 4, 2010 8:24 PM

Answers

• I'd personally leave out the MCDST as WinXP is approaching the end of its lifecycle.  Current indications are that more businesses will be adopting Win7 this year (and into 2011) due to the need to upgrade hardware.

The CompTIA A+ and Net+ are great foundational courses.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, June 18, 2010 2:01 PM
    Friday, June 4, 2010 8:50 PM
    Answerer
  • I agree with Charles on this one, check the latest and go for those exams. A couple of exams will lose interest because he market is demanding newer certs. You'll always keep your certs but the value of them will decrease quicker than the newer ones. Check microsoft learning for  a learning plan

Maurice

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, June 18, 2010 2:02 PM
    Friday, June 4, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Hi Ed,

I too agree what charles says. However once you complete 70-270 you will get MCP not MCTS, just for your information. I would suggest instead of taking 3 exams just do any two exams of the below. My preference would be MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7. If you like to prove yourself as a power/advanced PC user.

MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7

Exam 70-680

Exam 70-685

MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7

Exam 70-680

Exam 70-686

• Edited by SachinShetty10 Saturday, June 5, 2010 2:13 PM Sentence mistake
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 2:09 PM

All replies

• I'd personally leave out the MCDST as WinXP is approaching the end of its lifecycle.  Current indications are that more businesses will be adopting Win7 this year (and into 2011) due to the need to upgrade hardware.

The CompTIA A+ and Net+ are great foundational courses.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, June 18, 2010 2:01 PM
    Friday, June 4, 2010 8:50 PM
    Answerer
  • I agree with Charles on this one, check the latest and go for those exams. A couple of exams will lose interest because he market is demanding newer certs. You'll always keep your certs but the value of them will decrease quicker than the newer ones. Check microsoft learning for  a learning plan

Maurice

Friday, June 4, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Hi Ed,

I too agree what charles says. However once you complete 70-270 you will get MCP not MCTS, just for your information. I would suggest instead of taking 3 exams just do any two exams of the below. My preference would be MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7. If you like to prove yourself as a power/advanced PC user.

MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7

Exam 70-680

Exam 70-685

MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7

Exam 70-680

Exam 70-686

• Edited by SachinShetty10 Saturday, June 5, 2010 2:13 PM Sentence mistake
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 2:09 PM
  • Thanks guys! I really appreciate this advice. You may have just saved me a bunch of time and money.

Now I'm posting a new thread about the New Horizons training centers. Do you have any experiences you could share?

Monday, June 7, 2010 3:42 PM
  • If you need a classroom experience, they've got a good reputation (along with Global Knowledge).  However, they cost.  An alternative to consider would be self-study using both books (MS Press or Sybex) and training videos (CBT Nuggets, Trainsignal, TestOut).  You'll find the total cost to be a LOT lower than by paying for the classes.

The only thing with self-study is that you have to be disciplined enough to put in the needed time.  Having a decent computer (running at least Vista Premium/Ultimate or Windows 7 Business/Ultimate) with a large HD and at least 4gigs of RAM to use for study purposes will help.  This will allow you to create a virtual lab to work through some of the exercises in the books and videos.  FWIW, I use a laptop running Win7 Ultimate and Virtual PC for this.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 3:55 PM
    Answerer