Home Server Frequently locks up. Help! RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP Smart Media Server EX 485.

For about a year now (ya, I know I should have done something sooner) it has seemed to lock up after running about 15-30 minutes. I say "seemed to" because, of course, it has no monitor or keyboard so I can only judge by it being completely non-responsive through the network.

It had all the latest updates as of when the problem started but we have not been able to update it since then because of the problem.

I have no idea how to even diagnose the problem. I am open to any suggestions. I am trying not to just wipe it and re install because I don't want to loose the data that is on it. After the problem happened I also learned that my backups (to Amazon S3) hadn't been working for months.

Thanks,
    Jacob

Monday, January 30, 2012 4:13 AM

All replies

• You can use Remote Desktop using the account name Administrator and the console password to login to the server and check it's event log for errors - eventually a disk fails, or the 20 GB system volume partition is almost full.

How long do you already use this server? If it runs a long time, dust is collected in the air flow, fans and cooler rips - blow it out with pressed air if necessary (unless you are smoking in the room where the server is located, in this case only mechanical cleaning would help).

Did you in the past upgrade the servers RAM to 2 GB? If so, try to reduce this to 1 GB. I had this myself and read also in other reports, that a RAM upgrade to 2 GB caused the server to lock up regulary. Although not that often, "only" about once per week.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, January 30, 2012 9:22 AM
  • You can use Remote Desktop using the account name Administrator and the console password to login to the server and check it's event log for errors - eventually a disk fails, or the 20 GB system volume partition is almost full.

How long do you already use this server? If it runs a long time, dust is collected in the air flow, fans and cooler rips - blow it out with pressed air if necessary (unless you are smoking in the room where the server is located, in this case only mechanical cleaning would help).

Did you in the past upgrade the servers RAM to 2 GB? If so, try to reduce this to 1 GB. I had this myself and read also in other reports, that a RAM upgrade to 2 GB caused the server to lock up regulary. Although not that often, "only" about once per week.

Olaf

Thanks for the tips.

No errors are in the event logs.

I used it over a year before the problem started. But blowing out the dust didn't help. 

The hardware is as-purchased from HP there are no upgrades or replacements.

Jacob

Monday, January 30, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Hi,

there ought to be errors in the event lock, if the server locks up - at least an unexpected shutdown or something like that should be recorded.

So does Remote Desktop still work, if you have the "lock up feeling"?

Can you ping the server by name/by IP address, if it seems to be gone?

Are date, time, time zone on the server still correct?

Olaf

Monday, January 30, 2012 10:49 PM
  • Yes, there is an unexpected shutdown error in the System log. But there is nothign else out of the ordinary.

I did notice something new though. Before me starting this thread I hadn't worked on it in just over a month, during that time there are no events in any log, suggesting that the server was actually locked up and not just failing to respond to the network.

Remote desktop works during the window after I restart, after that it won't so much as respond to a ping.

Date and time are correct, when I went to look at time zone it stopped working so I will cycle it shortly and then look.

Jacob

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:09 PM
  • I would consider the server recovery process. This is documented in the user manual you received with your server.

Given the issue you describe, though, it's possible that you have some sort of hardware issue. If this is the case, a server recovery may not complete successfully.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Now I can't connect at all.

The server identifies itself (that is, I can resolve its IP) but it doesn't respond to ping requests and won't allow rdp connections. It also won't connect with the HS console.

Jacob

Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Hi Jacob,

the WHS console relies on Remote Desktop functionality. Would Remote Desktop client connect, if you try to use the IP address instead of server name?

Did you surely reboot the server and not only send it to hibernate or standby with the power button and later wake it up in its same condition?

Eventually you could attach the local disk to another PC and load the .evt files from c:\windows\system32\config into the event viewer of the running machine to see, if you can spot some issues there.

Olaf

Friday, February 3, 2012 8:49 AM
  • I have purchased 3 additional HDDs and installed WHS on one of them. My intent is to start fresh and copy my data into the new installation.

I see your instructions for copying the data in the shared folders, but is there a good way to restore the client backups into the new installation? As a further complication as I have been setting up the new installation it has taken a backup of the client I am using (I didn't notice in time to stop it). I don't care about the new backup but I am not sure how it affects restoring the old ones.

Jacob

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:28 PM
  • Instructions are below.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=copy+and+restore+whs+backup+database&l=1

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I have purchased 3 additional HDDs and installed WHS on one of them. My intent is to start fresh and copy my data into the new installation.

I see your instructions for copying the data in the shared folders, but is there a good way to restore the client backups into the new installation? As a further complication as I have been setting up the new installation it has taken a backup of the client I am using (I didn't notice in time to stop it). I don't care about the new backup but I am not sure how it affects restoring the old ones.

Jacob

BullDawg
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:57 PM
  • Hi Jacob,

there is an Add-In - WHS Backup Database Backup, which is capable to backup the entire database and also restore it (on a still working WHS).

Copying manually can be difficult, since you have to distinguish between tombstones and real files.

Eventually it is enough to stop the services PDL and whsbackup, deleting all files in D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} and inserting the files from the old server here.

But my recommendation would be, to perform fresh backups of all machines, unless you are really strong in need of specific data from these old backups.

Olaf

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 4:07 PM
  • looks like my original problem may have been an HDD failure. When I plug in my original hdd as a secondary drive on the new installation the system becomes really slow for about 20 minutes. After that time the drive does not show on the system and even the drive light on the bay doesn't come on.

Any sugestions to recover the data?

Jacob

Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Hi Jacob,

in this case you should assume the backup database as gone and start from scratch (since there is no redundancy in the backup database, a damaged or unreadable block in it can be enough to make it completely unrecoverable.

So beating the dead disk is usually only a waste of time. Maybe with a 1% chance of success.

How many disks did your broken server have in total?

Shared folders may be another thing, if they are not stored on the broken disk solely you have still a good chance to recover them.

Olaf

Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:56 PM