How to integrate Microsoft Office Communicator with Internet Explorer for Click-to-call functionalities? RRS feed

• Question

• Skype has this nice addon for browsers that makes telephone-numbers clickable so you can call the number directly with Skype. Is such a tool available for OCS/MOC R2 as well? I think it's rather un-Unified to manually have to type those numbers in the MOC to call them ;)

I googled, I binged, I searched with the broken search feature of this forum but I haven't found a decent tool. Codeplex was said to have one, but I didn't find their addon working properly.

Thanks in advance!

Ruud van Strijp
    Ruud van Strijp - Student, doing Network Infrastructure Design in the Netherlands. MCSE: 70-270, 70-284, 70-290, 70-291, 70-294, 70-297. Cisco: CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 8:38 AM

Answers

• I would recommend the ESTOS solution as well.   To be honest, I had the Skype plugin once and got rid of it as soon as I possibly could.  The thing would detect more than just telephone numbers, and had a bad habit of interfering with the design of certain websites, partly because it displays the telephone numbers in its own special, rather 'fat' design, taking up more screen real estate.  The presence icons of OC in e.g. Sharepoint are a lot better.

As a user, I would not like having something similar as the Skype plugin.... :-)
     Just my 2 cents...
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:26 AM

All replies

• Wednesday, July 8, 2009 11:22 AM
  • Thanks Tobbe_Z, that is a nice tool indeed! Though too bad you have to select the number yourself, it doesn't filter all numbers in a site like the Skype plugin does.

Does anyone know some tool that does exactly the same as Skype does, so marking all telephonenumbers in a site?
    Ruud van Strijp - Student, doing Network Infrastructure Design in the Netherlands. MCSE: 70-270, 70-284, 70-290, 70-291, 70-294, 70-297. Cisco: CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:34 PM
  • I would recommend the ESTOS solution as well.   To be honest, I had the Skype plugin once and got rid of it as soon as I possibly could.  The thing would detect more than just telephone numbers, and had a bad habit of interfering with the design of certain websites, partly because it displays the telephone numbers in its own special, rather 'fat' design, taking up more screen real estate.  The presence icons of OC in e.g. Sharepoint are a lot better.

As a user, I would not like having something similar as the Skype plugin.... :-)
     Just my 2 cents...
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:26 AM

Just my 2 cents...

Dude,
    One post is enough to make you point.
    Think 'outside the MS box', don't think localy think globaly!
    There are more numbers to dial then just within your Microsoft domain network.
    I agree with Ruud that it is unbelievable that something Skype offers with 'click to call' is not possible when using all Microsoft products for UC.(IE, Sharepoint, Exchange, Outlook, OCS 2007, Windows OS)
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:49 PM
  • Just tested ESTOS Phonetools.
    Works great in OCS 2007.
    It even works in Notepad, MSword, Powerpoint or any application! Just what I was looking for!
    Also internal(4 digits) numbers works fine.

The only con is that it works with a shortkey only. I would have liked it even beter if a pull down arrow was presented or the ability to select and right mouse click to select and call.
    I would like to get rid of the tray icon also. This isn't very usefull after installation.

Florisz

tip for calling directly any number from your Outlook contacts(which are not normalised of course):
    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=26

Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:38 PM

• Phonetools is a great piece of software & thanks to ESTOS for releasing it.

If it does not fit your needs - you can always write your own.  I did that because I needed 5 digit, long distance security codes sending after the long distance number was dialled.

The post link below (and the posts it links to) should help you if you want to do that.  It contains a simple example of how to trigger a call from a web page (it's shown as an OC custom tab - but that is a web page).  You can then customise to what you need...

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/communicationsservertelephony/thread/eac7ca7e-5cfd-49a7-b3da-7da2b5fdf717

Regards

Paul Adams
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 4:41 PM