WGA crashes at startup RRS feed

• Question

• WGA doesn't give me an error message on startup, it just crashes.

I accidentally uninstalled internet explorer once and now I'm trying to reinstall it, but the genuinecheck program closes as soon as I run it and I can't get the validation code.

Whenever I try to use windows explorer to open folders like my computer or my documents, it 'encounters a problem and needs to close'.

AppName: explorer.exe
    AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180
    ModName: ntdll.dll
    ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180
    Offest: 00026163

I can't run windows media player or sign in to live messenger either, only windows messenger. Firefox also crashes when I visit some sites.

However when I turn back the date I can open my computer and my documents, but I still can't sign in to live messenger. I think it is because I messed around with the date that caused this problem.

Btw, I can't even do a diagnostic report as firefox crashes when I visit the site.
    Monday, September 4, 2006 3:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Haterofmaplestory,

This is actually beyond the scope of this forum. I suggest you go to http://support.microsoft.com

You should be able to get sorted over there.

Thanks,

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 4:13 AM
  • I did a search and found the same problem where windows explorer crashes when trying to open my documents, my folders etc. It is not a WGA problem but it is also related because WGA crashes and cannot check for genuinity.

Explorer.exe causes an error in module ntdll.dll. Some say that this problem is caused by spyware, and I ran adaware, spybot and trendmicro. Spybot and trendmicro everything and did not detect any overlooked spyware, but adaware detected malware.psguard, regkey:software\winhound.com. I tried to remove it but every time it appeared again when I did a scan with adaware.

Does anyone here know how to deal with it?
    Friday, September 8, 2006 4:04 AM