What is recommended RAW workflow? RRS feed

• Question

• What is recommended workflow for panoramas out of RAW images?

How would you recommend me to adjust my current workflow assumption:

1. Import to RAW editor (i.e. Lightroom)
    2. Export to 16-bit TIFF (no adjustments made in LR)
    3. Import to ICE
    4. Create panorama
    5. Export to TIFF (It seems there is no option to export 16-bit TIFF, but ICE exports 16-bit if the import files are 16-bit)
    6. Import stitched panorama back to Lightroom
    7. Make adjustments for exposure, color, noise, alignment, etc.
    8. Export JPG/whatever
    And big thanks for fantastic, user-friendly imaging software! I have made just two test panoramas out of hand-held photos and the results are stunning.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 9:50 AM

Answers

• JarnoP, your workflow is exactly what I'd recommend.  Glad to hear the app is working well for you!

As an alternative workflow, ICE can read RAW formats directly if you have the appropriate WIC codecs installed.  Although this approach works, I don't generally recommend it because you cannot control the RAW develop settings in ICE, while you can in Lightroom.  In addition, most of the WIC codecs for RAW formats (including Microsoft's Camera Codec Pack) will decode images to 8-bit pixel formats, which limits the fidelity of ICE's color blending and any subsequent editing of the stitched panorama in Lightroom.

Nathanael's tip is a good one--exporting to Photoshop will preserve 16-bit channels, and provide all the layers.  JPEG XR format also supports 16 bits per channel.

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 9:49 PM

All replies

• I don't really have the experience to comment here, but I would add that if you have any need to do any tweaking of the images' overlap or any manual photo editing work then you might be interested in exporting to a layered Photoshop file, which will give you ICE's stitch as the bottom layer and then every used input image as a layer above that.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:58 AM
  • JarnoP, your workflow is exactly what I'd recommend.  Glad to hear the app is working well for you!

As an alternative workflow, ICE can read RAW formats directly if you have the appropriate WIC codecs installed.  Although this approach works, I don't generally recommend it because you cannot control the RAW develop settings in ICE, while you can in Lightroom.  In addition, most of the WIC codecs for RAW formats (including Microsoft's Camera Codec Pack) will decode images to 8-bit pixel formats, which limits the fidelity of ICE's color blending and any subsequent editing of the stitched panorama in Lightroom.

Nathanael's tip is a good one--exporting to Photoshop will preserve 16-bit channels, and provide all the layers.  JPEG XR format also supports 16 bits per channel.

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 9:49 PM
  • I mostly use the program for publishing to Photosynth, and try to keep the photos as real-to-life as I can. When I am working with a panorama of RAW files I find a couple of the photos that are a good representation of what the scene contains, and develop them for the best quality. I then run a batch process and develop the rest of the photos with the same settings. Then I import them into ICE and stitch them. I've had pretty good luck with this method, but I'm usually publishing landscapes.
    Monday, March 30, 2015 2:36 PM