do i need an anti virus installed on the server RRS feed

• Question

• hi can anyone help with this , do i need to install an anti virus program onto the server or does the server piggyback off the home pc .
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:41 PM

Answers

•  martin30 wrote:
    hi can anyone help with this , do i need to install an anti virus program onto the server or does the server piggyback off the home pc .

It does not piggyback off of any client PC.  As to whether you need one on the server or not, it's really personal preference.  If all of your files are going through your LAN and all of your client PCs have an AV, you are probably ok.  But if you allow uploads from outside your LAN (or if other users bring their own computers inside your LAN and don't have an AV), you really should have one on the server.  For me, I have one.

If you decide to install one, I would suggest you get one that is WHS aware.  AFAIK, the only WHS version that's not in beta testing at this point is avast!, which is what I use on all of my PCs so I can monitor all of the computers' AV from the Console.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:51 PM

All replies

•  martin30 wrote:
    hi can anyone help with this , do i need to install an anti virus program onto the server or does the server piggyback off the home pc .

It does not piggyback off of any client PC.  As to whether you need one on the server or not, it's really personal preference.  If all of your files are going through your LAN and all of your client PCs have an AV, you are probably ok.  But if you allow uploads from outside your LAN (or if other users bring their own computers inside your LAN and don't have an AV), you really should have one on the server.  For me, I have one.

If you decide to install one, I would suggest you get one that is WHS aware.  AFAIK, the only WHS version that's not in beta testing at this point is avast!, which is what I use on all of my PCs so I can monitor all of the computers' AV from the Console.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:51 PM
  • HI THANKS FOR THE REPLY .

where do i get this avast antivirus and is it free

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:56 PM
  •  martin30 wrote:
    HI THANKS FOR THE REPLY .

where do i get this avast antivirus and is it free

The link was in my first post and no, it's not free.  (TBH, I wouldn't use a free AV on my server anyway since it's the most critical computer in my LAN.)

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 2:10 PM
  • thanks you ,
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 2:13 PM
  •  

For $79.99 you can get a one year subscription for the WHS version along with 10 licenses for Avast Professional to run on you client pc's.  I use the Avast on WHS and am happy with it so far.  I do not allow uploads from users that I do not have control of to help prevent any possible problems.  I have 5 client machines either running avast professional or NOD 32.  I do really like NOD 32 but also really like being able to monitor and control the client AV applications.  Still undecided as to which way I want to go.
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:47 AM
  • hi

i now have the antir virus software and it cost me £25 for one year sub, thanks to u all
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:12 PM