Windows Home Server - Restore CD blue screening RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to recover my ASUS EeePC 1000H by using the images taken automatically using my Whs. Somewhat unsurprisingly, shortly after booting to the restore CD I am getting a blue screen error 0x0000007B. Is there a work around for this.

Thank you

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:19 PM

All replies

• At what point in the boot process does this happen? 0x7B errors are almost always associated with mass storage drivers, so it's likely that it's being caused by non-standard hardware. Perhaps the CD-ROM drive? I assume you're using an external USB CD-ROM?

Unfortunately, if it's happening before the Restore CD enters the GUI, probably you're going to have to either try to find hardware that will work (after identifying the hardware causing the problem) or as a practical alternative you can remove the drive from the Asus, connect it to another computer, and run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 7:02 PM
  • Can you change the SATA controller mode in Bios to IDE (ATA/PATA)?

If this does not work, get the disk out of the machine and attach it to another client. Then try the procedure according to the FAQ How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 9:13 PM
  • You could try using the PP3 Restore CD, which could be download from and select

"Restore a home computer that has 512 MB or more of RAM"

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=26881305-91cc-4f37-b1fc-3813c423df2c

Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:13 AM