Transfer of XP license RRS feed

• Question

• Pls help me out.. my old PC "HP" which has a pre-installed Win XP Pro when I bought it, died due to electrical fault in power supply and both HD and motherboard were toasted.

Now, this old PC includes a Win XP Pro installer CD, if I buy a new PC can I use this installer CD and install Win XP Pro to my new PC? Or do I need to buy another Win XP license?

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 3:55 AM

Answers

• JRRR,

OEM Licenses for XP that come preinstalled on new computers are valid only on the computer onto which they were first installed and cannot be moved to any other computer.  When the computer dies, the license dies.

Have a look here:  http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/YourPC_do.mspx

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 4:03 AM

All replies

• JRRR,

OEM Licenses for XP that come preinstalled on new computers are valid only on the computer onto which they were first installed and cannot be moved to any other computer.  When the computer dies, the license dies.

Have a look here:  http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/YourPC_do.mspx

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 4:03 AM
  • That seems unfair.. so this is valid only if the license is OEM? What if I buy a Win XP Pro (Retail) from the shelf? Is this license now transferrable?
    Wednesday, June 28, 2006 7:39 AM
  • JRRR,

Retail licenses for XP are NOT married or tied to hardware.  You can install a full retail license of XP on as many computers as you want to, as long as it is activated on one computer at a time.  In the case of an upgrade retail license of XP, if the previous Windows product being upgraded by the XP installation was a full retail license, you can move the upgrade license of XP to as many computers as you want to, as long as it is activated on one computer at a time.

Other significant differences between XP OEM licenses and retail licenses:

(1)  Support for XP is provided by MS in the case of retail licenses, and from the computer manufacturer in the case of OEM licenses.

(2)  Your End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) is between you and MS in the case of retail licenses, and between you and the computer manufacturer in the case of OEM licenses

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 3:16 PM
  • I do have a real problem with Microsoft not providing support for an OEM install of Windows IF they issue a piece of software (such as WGA) that makes the OEM install of Windows work improperly.
    Wednesday, June 28, 2006 3:29 PM
  • I have a real problem with Microsoft not supporting OEM installs of Windows IF Microsoft issues software (such as WGA) that makes a genuine installation work improperly or not at all.
    Wednesday, June 28, 2006 3:30 PM
  • Thank you very much Dan for the input.

So in short it is better to buy a XP retail version. Install it to my new PC then if ever this PC dies in the near future, I can re-use the license to another new PC, correct?

Thursday, June 29, 2006 2:14 AM
  • JRRR,

Well, it all depends.

If you are buying a new computer from a major manufacturer, generally you would expect it to already come with some edition of XP installed, which would be an OEM license.

If you are building it yourself or are buying a system from a local systembuilder, you can buy either an OEM license, or a full retail license.  I see systembuilder/OEM licenses for Home at about $75-90 and $135-150 for Pro.

However, a full retail license is the most expensive way to buy XP, and I don't know if I would be dropping $199 (Home) or $299 (Pro) when Vista is due out in about 7-8 months.  If you can make do with an upgrade copy of XP Home ($39.99 after rebate at Office Depot this week), I'd think about that.

But you are correct in that retail licenses can travel to a new PC when the old one dies, or for any reason.  Retail licenses can be moved from one computer to the next computer without limit.

Thursday, June 29, 2006 3:10 AM
  • Hello,

I have an old laptop with OEM license. recently harddisk has crashed. I want to replace the harddisk and use the same license. Please let me know how to use it.  I don't even have recovery CDs.  Is there any way  I can get XP CD. I will use my OEM license to install on the same laptop.

Thanks and Regards

Raj

Thursday, September 7, 2006 12:50 PM
  • How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us
    Thursday, September 7, 2006 12:55 PM
  • Raj-UK,

The vast majority of laptops over the years have come with Windows preinstalled by the laptop's manufacturer.  Your first and best course of action IMO is to check with the laptop manufacturer to see if they can send you a "recovery" or "reinstallation" CD.  Usually these can be had for a reasonable fee.  For example, Dell charges about $12 and eMachines charges about $20 to send you a replacement.

Thursday, September 7, 2006 6:27 PM
  • You cannot transfer the Hewlett-Packard OEM Windows license to a new computer, even if the old one is destroyed or no longer in use.  The license is tied to the computer it was first installed/activated on.

You can however repair your HP computer and continue using your Windows license on that machine.  When the Bestec power supply fails, it often destroys the motherboard, but the processor, RAM, and drives are still ok.  In that case, I'd purchase a new micro-ATX motherboard that has the same CPU socket type as the old one and transfer the memory, processor, and heatsink/fan to the new board.  And of course I'd replace the failed power supply with a good brand-name unit.  I suspect your hard disk is fine, and can be reformatted and reused.

After replacing the motherboard, I'd do a full format of the hard disk and re-install the operating system from the XP Home CD that came with the machine.  Most HP's from 2002 to 2005 came with a BIOS-locked SLP installation disc.  This CD will successfully install Windows on a new motherboard, but it will then require activation when the OEM BIOS is not detected.  Activation will be denied, and the reason given will be "invalid product key".  You can however do a telephone activation, tell the operator the truth that you replaced a defective motherboard with one of similar specifications, and you'll be given a code to type in that will activate Windows on the new motherboard.  You will need to provide the product key from the COA/license sticker, and the brand and model of the computer, and confirm that the software is only installed on this one machine.

Hope that helps.

Friday, September 8, 2006 3:06 AM
  • I didn't know you could transfer your retail license to another whole computer. How would you be able to prove that the other system no longer exists?
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:33 PM
  • You'll be unable to activate the Windows XP license on the new computer if the license is still installed on the old computer.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 9:00 PM
  • How do I ununstall XP from old machine so I can activate retail copy on new machine?

I just rebuilt the new machine and replaced old, failed HDD with a new one.

Zephod

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 4:50 PM
  • "zephod00" wrote in message news:5c96b17f-c6bf-4aa8-845c-bd5a4bdb22b6...

How do I ununstall XP from old machine so I can activate retail copy on new machine?

I just rebuilt the new machine and replaced old, failed HDD with a new one.

Zephod

So long as the old one is unusable, that good enough - you may need to activate by telephone and explain to the operator the problem.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:57 PM